High notes/Marching Band: cold weather vs hot weather

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mike Barkett, Jan 3, 2011.

1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I always hated playing in really cold weather. Down to about 30 was fine, anything lower was miserable fighting the horn.
    I hope you guys are talking about female flute players. I have known some males that chose that instrument (although I DID wonder...)

2. MBRules101

MBRules101 New Friend

Nov 10, 2010
    I there have been a lot of times that I had to play in really cold weather. What i do is just dress warmly with a couple of layers under your uniform ( I use Under Armour as long as its not noticeable when the uniform is on ), i would keep my mouthpiece warm before marching on to the field before performing our field show and when playing stand music from the stands. I like to perform in a relatively warm climate, mainly so my trumpet doesn't go out of tune

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I concur that the SA kettle gigs were great ... especially when there was a thermos of hot choclolate in readiness ... but then it was a pain to clean my trumpet afterward with two brothers my parents, and me all vying for the bath tub before bed. Finally made a tray in metal shop of galvanized in which to soak it overnight. Now use a baby's vinyl bath tub (no longer needed by a baby). Have to now use a hose for my euphonium, when I can't use the bath tub!

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ed, how much hot chocolate does it take to fill a Eupho? :shock::-?;-)

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Never calculated the volume of my Conn artist euphonium which at the time of most SA gigs I didn't own but did have the ability to play. Too, I could do an Edison and determine the volume by pouring water into it until full ... but why? I've no interest in doing so! Too, I can't remember the last time I drank a hot chocolate or ate any chocolate even though once upon a time I was a "chocoholic". However, now I am diabetic and such is now a no no. Too, and later than those SA gigs, and since, before I played, it is was the regimen of brushing my teeth and washing my mouth out with an antiseptic mouthwash.

6. Lupis

Lupis New Friend

Jan 30, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I would have to agree with VulganoBrother on his one.

Usually by the end of a marching performance I would be sweating without any extra layers under my uniform (I tend to get hot quickly). Waiting to play was not that much fun but I learned to adapt real quick in MI's 30 degree F weather! I just blow air through constantly to keep my horn warm.

7. BandDirectorChops

BandDirectorChops New Friend

Oct 15, 2010
    I went to college at U of Wisconsin. We marched in just gym shorts whether it was 95 above or 20 below, and found that with the right attitude, the high notes sounded regardless of the temperature.

8. JimCulp

JimCulp New Friend

Dec 13, 2010
    I like mildly cool weather, say around 65 degrees. Cold weather makes the horn behave poorly, and the really hot stuff, especially if it's humid, makes my endurance tank.:(