High Notes, or the lack there of...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LSN1052, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LSN1052

LSN1052 New Friend

Sep 5, 2009
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    My range is pitiful. :thumbdown:

My teacher and I have deduced that many of my fundamentals arent lining up.

I tense up ;-)

Use too much pressure

Curl my bottom lip

Basically my embourcher(?) sucks. ;-)

So whats my question?? (I answered it when i was typing)...

Is there anything i can do besides these cliche, dont do this, relax. blabla tell me something else. :dontknow:

By my range sucks i mean. [high] B flat is solid on a good day. for me the simple half step between B flat and B is a mile and [high] C is in another country.

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Don't try to play high notes
    If you can't play them, then don't try, you'll only develop bad habits that way

Play only in the staff for a while, find some tunes that are simple and allow you to do that, long tones/flow studies. Generally just playing some boring, simple stuff to get you going good :)
    (and strive for sound, not notes)

3. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    same here sln, i cant play above the high a and the b flat is in another country for me. most importantly, you do have to fix your embouchure. buzz that mouthpiece quietly and slowly and relax and control your lips. and remember, range comes with time and lots of practice, good luck

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Clarke Technical Studies done quietly.......the first one starts on a low F♯ .....do these as Clarke describes..........Take your time and do them quietly.
    Wilmer

5. LSN1052

LSN1052 New Friend

Sep 5, 2009
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    im pretty legit on everything else. range is my only weakness.

that sounds really arragant and stuff but, thats how it is and i wana fix it.

i guess practice really is the only remidy.

Its funny every other person of the 17 trumpets in my section have the mindset that if they can play a high C there good. but thats only what they can play, and it sounds horrible.

Its just that i nail every audition, school, district, state everything. not nervous, play the songs perfectly. but the judge asks for a scale and depending on what it is i get it out, then chromatic comes and im screwed.

Its my achilles heal. Im a junior in high school and i cant play above an A (consistantly solid everyday)

6. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    We trumpet players sometime delude ourselves.
    Which books are you working on? Can you confidently single, double and triple tongue?
    How much of the Arban book can you REALLY play? Do you play any H.L.Clarke solos?
    Do you have a private teacher? Just playing a high note is not a really challenging goal, what do YOU wish to accomplish with your horn?
    I have a few JHS students that can do everything I asked you about...........
    Tell yourself the truth............Now get busy :-)
    Wilmer

7. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    LSN,
    I'm in the exact positio as you are. My highest consistent note is an A- I'm slowly adding a bflat. I wouldn't say that I absolutely nail everything, but I'm a junior in high school, and I'm the second best player in my trumpet section. The only problem is that everyone can play higher than me. I'd never put too much weight on range, because I didn't think it was too important, but I think now it is starting to become a problem. I practice way more than a lot of the people that can play higher than me, and it's not like they are bad in the upper register; they sound solid up there. I think that, at this point, it comes to the method of training rather than training itself. There are probably some good exercises that focus on making range greater.

8. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Did you read my reply?
    Clarke studies will get you started.
    Wilmer

9. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    I actually do use Clark studies. I'm going through it pretty steadily, but it generally doesn't help my range. It is very good for articulation and clarity, however.

10. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    Wiseone,
    when you say that you have a few JHS students who can do what you've asked, do you mean junior high school as in middle school students? That's more than impressive.
    LSN and I are juniors in high school-not that it makes any difference to the advice you've given us. I'm just wondering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.