High Notes, or the lack there of...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LSN1052, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Thanks Nick, that provides some clarity for me - I reckon between you, Robin, Wilmer, Sofus, and Chuck - I might end up knowing a bit about trumpet theory. From Old Lou I might learn a bit about hardware. From Bear I might get a handle on life. From Nordlands I may be able to see trumpets where they wouldn't normally exist and with a little bit of luck, and some repitition, I might one day be able to bang out a toon or two, too. And for all the unnamed thousands - thanks too and cheers ....

2. LSN1052

LSN1052 New Friend

Sep 5, 2009
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    So im basically starting a new thread here.

Id say a lot has changed since that lame cry for help at the beginning.

Marching Seasons over. Somehow i landed 1st chair Symphonic, AND was coerced into auditioning for jazz band and sight read the music and got 1st chair. and i am playing in the musical Pit fot the play.

So im pretty pumped for the rest of the year. But i could still use to build my range.

Besides the fact that ill be playing hellalot, any quick practice tips or routines that a can eeeek in to that to help the high notes? Thanks alot.

Or one kind person can tell me to stop being lazy and just deduce my own techniques from the 3 pages before this.

3. missmybaby

missmybaby Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2009
    Detroit Metro
    ...listen to wilmer maybe? hellloooo... If Bernstein gave him high praise, I suppose he may know wtf he is talkin about.

Aside from Wilmer, Carmine Caruso Method comes pretty highly recommended in squeeler circles. That other trumpet site has a whole section built around supporting the method. Some head games there, looks interesting. IIRC, the method book runs around $90. Maybe Santa can get a discount.

4. ewetho

ewetho Piano User

Jun 24, 2007
    Kankakee, IL
    I hit the wall at High C for most of my life. Heck 16 years out of practice could still hit that note but above that was the preverbal lost continent. I started with a Claude GOrdon Certified teacher and now can lay down to Dbl Pedal C and regularly up to G above High C. Have been into B and Dbl C territory a few times too.

Get a good teacher and get to diligent work.

For free you can listen to the audio files from Jeff Purtles website in his section. Listen to the stuff from Claude himself. Really invaluable. Just takes time.

Kind of funny really. His take on the lips after getting a MP set is to tell you to forget them!!! They are there just to vibrate. Most of the work you need is in the Tongue.

I know I know Yeah Right.... Well my G would beg to differ!!! It is becoming more consistent and reliable every day.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    LSN,
    forget it. There is no quick fix. Everything has been said. Now you just have to have listened and start doing something about the rest of your trumpet playing life.

Waiting for a miracle just leaves you behind the rest. Shortcuts are stupid.

I'm closing this thread. There is nothing new to add

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.