High Notes - Out of Tune

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetGuy101, Jul 25, 2013.

1. TrumpetGuy101

TrumpetGuy101 New Friend

Dec 27, 2011
    United Kingdom
    So about a week ago, I posted a thread regarding reaching notes above the staff after being away from the trumpet for over a year. I can confidently hit a G one space above the staff now (I know, nothing to boast about), but it sounds out of tune. My lower register is fine.

How can I make my high notes more in-tune?

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Long tones, listening, sticking with it, stopping when embouchure is tired, working on efficient use of air: "wind & song"! It just takes time and persistence.
    Jim

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    More air support and open embouchure (the gmonady raw of power)

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    By out of tune, do you mean are sounding flat? Can you play the A over the staff too, and is it also out of tune (in the same way)?

I would tend to agree with the advice that working on endurance (so that you aren't mainly playing when your lips are tired) will help firm up any notes you can play.

--bumblebee

5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    All of us are usually flat on the highest note we can play.

As you increase your range this will continue to be true but will affect only the highest note.

Once you have a good "D", you should be able to play your "G" in tune.

6. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Did you play the F below just before? That F is pretty much always sharp without adjustment. Perhaps the G sounds flat in relation to that F. Play with a tuner to find out.

If it's just flat anyway, then it's probably just a case of a lack of air support which you can work on. :-)

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    So, are you flat or sharp up high? You already have some comments on a flat upper register, so I'll comment on sharp. A sharp upper register can be caused by pinching the notes to get them out, or playing with a lot of tension in the embouchure. Also, small, very shallow mouthpieces will tend to go sharp up high.

8. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    remember to REST as much as you play.. play for 4 bars rest for 4 bars, long notes for 8 bars rest for 8 etc...

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    give it some air dude!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It is not uncommon for even "professional" trumpets to have a g above the staff sharp. A step above that is real sharp is normal unless the player pull some slide.