High Notes - Out of Tune

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetGuy101, Jul 25, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That can be player/equipment related; not just he mouthpiece/embouchure factor, but the horn itself... and that is the beauty of false fingerings, the great equalizer.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or uses false fingerings (see my post above).

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    then lip it into tune -- one should also know the defects in their equipment, a great share of that can be fixed with tuning slide adjustment, alternative fingering, or by the lips and air!! -- long as you know where that needs to be applied!!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  4. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Or this solution...
    [​IMG]

:D :D :D

5. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Consider Frink and McNeil's exercise of holding a note you can play well (say middle C, open); hold it, then relax the chops enough (don't move the horn) to lip it down a half tone; hold it; then lip it back up all in one breath and get a good center. Do this in half-steps going up to where you can do it no longer. Do this exercise no more than once per practice session.This exercise will increase your flexibility and should allow you eventually to put your tuning on the note in question rather than the horn's.

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Don't worry about it. When I posted that a certain player on a recently posted video,on another forum, was sharp for almost every note, I was told it was musicianship and style.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thanks for that news --- now I never have to worry -- cause I am "ALWAYS IN STYLE" -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Check your corks etc. for air leaks.

9. Avan

Avan New Friend

Mar 9, 2012
    I had this issue with "A" above the staff for a very long time ............... never could lip it in tune, use to piss me off !!

UNTIL !!! I found the third valve .................................. That "A" ? perfectly in tune now..................

Maybe it's my horn or just me, in any case it's now an in tune ....................... happy now !! :-)

All other notes are fine above the staff up to F are fine .................

Horn ? 1948 Selmer Grand Prix

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My experience as well. That third valve high A is not only in better tune, but it slots a lot easier for me as well.