High notes really are a trick.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Sep 13, 2012.

1. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    The Claude Gordon Method doesn't work for everyone, just the other 95%!
    Join HI-YR-BY-A-THIRD today! | The Trumpet Blog
    95% of the participants had success and it used the Claude Gordon method.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  2. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Why do my searches for ZEV, et al, come up with no matches?

3. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    Practice and Mouthpiece. The other day i hit a super high Aflat with a real shallow mouthpiece. The note didnt sound that good but it was there! :cool:

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's the way it works! Keep at it!:thumbsup:

5. jjcousin

jjcousin Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    Holy carp! I tried the "pulling the lip down just below the teeth" and a G came out quite nicely. Not very clean, but it was definitely there.
    SWEET. I think we're on to something!!!! Thanks for this.

I have the Balanced Embouchure book and that method talks about "rolling in" the lips. I found almost the same effect as I'm pulling the lip down it kind of rolls in, too (but it's easier to do). The bottom lip, is different in that it's not affected with the ZEV.

Because initially the tone on the lower notes is not good (pulling the lip down), I plan on trying the Balanced Embouchure exercises in the book to incorporate the new embouchure into the normal playing routine - which is what the exercises do. Anybody experience this?

HOWEVER, I have a few questions:

1) I find it hard to KEEP the lip down there. How to do that? I found myself drying off my lip manually, placing the mp on the lip high, then pulling the mp down with the lip on it. I think this will be hard on the skin...any thoughts?

2) I have no clue what you are talking about wrt the other method - the T/STF. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to even try. What to do with the lips OUTSIDE the mouthpiece compared to inside...?

Thanks in advance,

Jjcousin

6. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    Posted a few days ago that getting above even the C mid-staff was hard for me - so I am playing around, thinking I have a stuck valve or something because the notes arent right. I was playing a harmonic above the one I thought!

When I wasn't thinking about missing the note I hit it. Once I realized where I was in the scale I couldn't play it anymore. It was like Wile E Coyote running over the cliff, and not falling till he looks down.

Something to learn from, though. Go for the feel, not the note and eventually the note will come!

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    count me in the other 5%!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL nonetheless I'm up to a decent high F,G on most days!!

8. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    congratulations !

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes -- but for me, it didnt' happen overnight -- and I suspect it won't happen overnight for others either! --- got to put in the time --- and that is the real trick!!

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I don't know of any trick with my silk topper and I can't find any rabbit in it either. Durn, somebody lend me a wand. Really never wanted to be a magician or particularly sought after high notes that I haven't had the need for.