High notes tips (Everybody read this this is awesome!!)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Mar 9, 2013.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    So today was solo ensemble day for our school's band, and after my group's performance, the judge gave me three helpful hints to reach the high notes:

1) Abdominal support
    2) Open throat
    3) The "tee" syllable

I hope this helps. :)

2. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Now the hard part is actually doing all that without stressing any of the muscles in your body even just a little too much, lest you have a pinched, thin sound.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and very little pressure on your lips!!!! -- this is key, YOU CAN NOT JAM THE MPC into your face and expect air support to help (at least for very long) --- oh, and one other thing ----- you need air going through a correspondingly small aperture (you need to slightly make the aperture smaller -- NOT PINCHED DOWN, just ever so slightly smaller) -- but the judge was a LOW BRASS PLAYER anyhow ----- I mean c'mon, didnt you ask him what instrument was his best???????? ---- trombone player for sure!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL but yes, those 3 tips and a couple of mine will help --- but you got to practice, and practice, and do some more practice --it don't come overnight!!!!

4. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    yeah the judge may have not been a trumpet player...

5. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    It's pretty interesting to me ,the advice giv'n here a TM ,i was never a high player back in the day but i could sqeal away with the best of them :play:.

After i quit i thought i must not be able too get up there ?,now i know i just wasn't showed how !!! ,true enough that high notes are not a big priority in H/S but you would think there would at the very least be some instruction on it ??? :x

The one thing iv'e found very helpful was the part about trying Not to increase pressure on the lips with the mouth piece, coupled with steady practice and time .

Has my range increased ? YES!, not by a great amount but i can hear that now when i get to the upper part of my range i'm sounding better ,less sqeal more tone.

All that to say just what every experienced player here has said ,Practice ,play easy and slow ,give it time :D

Thanks all
    Sry i don't remember who was the first to say it :grouphug: you know who you are :worthy::worthy::worthy:

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The secret to high notes is

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yeah, that's my understanding as well!

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Good points. Sort of like telling an investor to buy low, sell high. Great advice. Doing it is not as easy.

9. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Have done a heap of research on this topic over the past few months and can share the following...

There are basically four super secret copyright methods for extended range, which I can't fully detail for fear of breaking the law, but in essence...

Secret 1 plus lots of practice
    Secret 2 plus lots of practice
    Secret 3 plus lots of practice
    Secret 4 plus lots of practice

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    With good leadership and diligent practice the high register will develop, it can take a lot of time. About 10 years ago I asked my tutor how to play double high C, she replied "when you find out let me know".

It has taken me 7 years to build my range from G on top of the stave to squeaking the G an octave above and a good C/D on demand. If I was able to spend more time on the instrument I am sure it would be quicker, half to one hour most days is all I can manage at the moment.

Regards, Stuart.