High notes tips (Everybody read this this is awesome!!)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Mar 9, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It is an original, written by the bassest in the band, Peter Huffaker. This was a spin off band from the Colorado State University Statesmen that I played lead horn with back in 1979. The entire album, New Life (songs name sake for this band "Kinesis") was recorded at Caribou Ranch, Co. where Chicago recorded many of their songs in the 70's. I have mellowed a bit through the years.

2. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Since you brought them up? (chicago) One of my favorite bands! i guess i should go look up who played with them ,btw there is a video on utube of the guy who played with blood sweat and tears .
    How to Play High Notes On the Trumpet! - YouTube

Nice recordings .

I must confess Jazz isn't really my thang ,i like some of it ,if it leans more towards southern rock type stuff,now that i think of it i'd look for some great trumpet cd's if you could point the way? :roll:

3. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    "A good trumpet player must have good low notes as well as high ones."

Bill Vacchiano

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uhm, if you can play high notes -- then make them good notes -- and before you know it --- stringing a few GOOD HIGH NOTES together, and adding in some rhythm --- and believe me -- BEFORE YOU REALIZE IT, you playing music!!! yeah, try it!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    cool you didn't answer the question --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Thank you --- and Barry uses a pre-UMI KING SILVER FLAIR --- yeah baby, this is what it sounds like!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL KINGTRUMPET

7. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Gary, I just now had time to listen to that tune a few times (It takes me that many times to really appreciate great playing!) Wow, very, very nice!! :thumbsup:

8. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    Regarding abdominal support. I never ever went to gyim. Im not that type. But! When I look myself in the mirror I can notice something like six pack on my belly, now its not exatcly 6 of them, but there are at least 4 of them, the bottom 2 are still missing. Now I do not remember doing any six pack excercises -so It must have been from trumpet playing since I do follow that toothpaste rule and I squeeze that last bit of air from my lungs always. And Now I have six pack, actually 4 pack

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I've got you beat... I have a kegger abdomin. Kegs outrank a six pack anyday in my book.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    ...the Vulgano "RAY OF POWER!"

The finicky thing about air is that, yeah, we must learn the mechanics but then forget about them, because under the stress of performance, as tension sets in, our bodies will lie to us, and it will feel like we're moving huge amounts of air, breathing deeply and supporting when in fact, we are not!

For this reason, I rely on some Vulgano Voodoo and the RAY OF POWER. It involves the Root Chakra, which is located directly at the base of the spine, also known as the coccyx. The chakras have their own mystic qualities, I guess. I don't know for sure, but they do seem to be located in parts of the body where bunches of nerves meet. (The Vulgano version is situated half way between the places we do our number one and number two in the restroom.)

In practice and in theory, imagine (and feel) a ray of some sort (red is the most common mystic color associated with the root chakra) shooting down into the ground while playing. For high notes, imagine (and feel) a more intense ray. If we practice this sitting in a chair, we can notice all kinds of muscles come into play, which happen to be the same muscles used to "support" the air stream. By taking attention off of the mechanics and experiencing the mysterious, magical and not yet patented RAY OF POWER we can avoid some of the tension involved in "trying hard."

Nothing mysterious and magical here really, but the RAY OF POWER does permit me to play with a relaxed but working body.

For exercises, "rips" work really well. Starting with a c in the staff, glissando upwards, like dragging mallets across a xylophone, hitting all the overtones and coming down again. Then, like a bouncing ball, take it higher and higher and higher.