High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tutin_trumpeta, Aug 17, 2008.

1. tutin_trumpeta

tutin_trumpeta Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Hi Guys,

I'm not going to ask how to play high.... I know the answer to that is practice, I was just wondering if any of you could either recommend a trumpet method that will help me in the right direction to getting a stronger higher register, or offer some tips? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I ask because at the moment I struggle to play a decent C above the stave and would like to improve it and maybe add a 5th to that...

Thanks,

Nick

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Vizzutti's three volume trumpet method contains some wonderful range exercises, that work best when practised as a part of a complete package.
    Have fun!

3. trumpetlore

trumpetlore Pianissimo User

Apr 14, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    I also really like the Bai Lin method from Editions Bim. It's really helped me to understand how to navigate the full range with flexibility.

4. tutin_trumpeta

tutin_trumpeta Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Thanks for your prompt replies. When my bursary for my PGCE comes through I think I may treat myself....

Nick

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have never used or endorsed a specific method for upper register. There is a ton of stuff out there and I am sure that it is all just fine, but not finer than Arban, Clarke, Schlossberg or Adams.
    The best method to playing higher is to get the mouthpiece pressure off of the top lip. play VERY softly - lip slurs, Clarke up an octave.............. Exactly the same results as all of that fancy city slicker stuff!

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    There are tons of methods out there each showing a different embouchure set up,the trick is to find which will maximize your set up.

8. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    i just push the mouthpiece harder to my lips and i get the higher note. I dont know if tis right im sure it is though cause thats what my teacher said to do and it sounds right. Oh what does caruso mean?

9. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA

That is absolutely NOT right and the teacher you are learning from is obviously not a trumpet player. :-o Please go take some lessons from a qualified TRUMPET PLAYER before you hurt yourself. Carmine Caruso is an amazing trumpet player and teacher... google him, you won't be disapointed! :play:

10. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    so what do you do to get your high notes? its right the guy has been playing for more than 50 years!