High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tutin_trumpeta, Aug 17, 2008.

1. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    As long as the pressure you are using is no more than what you need to keep a seal on the mouthpiece than it is correct. If you are being told that way to ascend a scale to keep pushing the mouthpiece harder and harder into your face, I don't care if the guy has been playing for 150 years, that is not right... it might work for him because he has gotten used to it, but chances are you will hurt yourself before you get used to it.

I minimize the pressure on my top lip and make sure I have plenty of air in my lungs. I practice as quietly as possible up and down all my scales, two octaves where I can. I have a solid E above high C. I know that isn't screaming, but it carries me through most everything I have had to play, and I think a good tone is more important than being able to hit the stratosphere.

I don't mean to sound critical, but as a trumpet instructor for several high schools in my area, I hate to see young trumpet players doing damage because they get there trumpet education from a clarinet player that had two weeks of trumpet lessons in college.... sorry, I was venting a bit.... ;)

2. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    well nha i dont push it really hard but for instance when i try to blow a "G" i push a little so i can hit the note with out hearing lots of air running through it. Cause i was told to practe in order

C, D, E, F, G, G, F, E, D, C

so i dont push hard until wen i get close to F and G, thats when i sorta need to push against my lips so i can get the note properly or else its of tune.

3. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    That sounds pretty normal for a young player. What I would suggest you work on though is being able to play those notes without pushing harder, instead of just accepting the fact that you have too. If you start now, by playing softly when you practice and using your air correctly, you will be unlimited in the range you can develope.

4. carltonsstudent

carltonsstudent New Friend

May 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Carmin Caruso was not a great trumpet player! In fact, he was not even a trumpet player. He was a saxaphone player who had superb insight into the physical needs of the human body to perform complex and demanding things requiring the coordination of muscles in time along with other attributes such as breath support. His exercises are very demanding and not designed for the beginning student in my opinion. His exercises are, however, excellent for the player who has many other things in place and functioning properly.

Range should not be the main consideration of the young student, but if you learn to play correctly with a strong focus on fundamentals, and on your physical and mental health then range will develop naturally in time. As Dave Stahl told me about 35 years ago: "My teacher never really dealt with range much but just taught me how to play the trumpet well. As range became necessary it was just there when I needed it." Today Dave still mentions his childhood teacher as his only teacher and he still has a very great appreaciation of him. Dave further told me that as a child he only practiced about an hour a day and it was not until he was in the Army Blues Jazz Ensemble that he started thinking about what he would do when he got out of the Army. Music had been good to him up to that point so he starting practicing 5 hours a day to prepare himself. The rest is history, playing lead with just about every great band. Check out his Web Site and hear his videos. Dave Stahl: I have quoted you as best I can remember from what you told me. If there is any inaccuracy then I apologize very greatly.

The moral is to get a good teacher and don't have an inordinate desire for range. Remember the Chinese proverb: "When the student is ready, the master will appear." Find time for physical and mental development in things like baseball, swimming, running and studies, etc. to help your overall development.

5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    yer well i will try

6. Schilke player

Schilke player New Friend

Mar 26, 2008
    Brentwood, TN
    I would check this out: Trumpet lessons and trumpet books.. The Claude Gordon book is good if you have the time to go through everything over a years time. However just going through a book like that is not everything unless you also know how to apply a good tongue arch, proper breathing and support. Learning how to play softly is very important. You can also look up pencil exercises for trumpet. Using an exteme amount of pressure is something that can get you a higher note if you need it but should be used rarely and with caution, as a last resort, not as a routine means to an end.

7. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    cramming the mouthpiece into your face to get higher is really not the way to do it it. If you cant cook well you wouldnt take a cheese on a cheese grader and just push it through

8. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    lol i dont knwo i just do wats right

9. navf21

navf21 New Friend

Jul 2, 2008
    Hi, developing high notes need time and patience, according my experience ,do not worry , i consider it is just tricky!!! Not difficult!!. You will learn to understand what it take to get good easy high note in time
    i have benefited from james stamp warm up ex 3 ( scale wise ) and clarke .

One other thing play tunes building from middle register and go higher step by step , just to ask how is your lower register ?

10. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    its fu8nny when i play the scale thing i get it perfect. But wen i see a piece of song and try to play ti its SOOO HARD ??