High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tutin_trumpeta, Aug 17, 2008.

1. navf21

navf21 New Friend

Jul 2, 2008
    Hi , It happened to me too, when you play scale you build up the breath support gradually but playing song it doesnt work as support is not ready , so i suggest play the song lower and build step by step and go higher then you will feel it is easy .

2. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    yer i know its weird cause the scales r lyk perfect btu wen it comes to a basic song lol i cant do it lmao

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Hitman, don't try to go too high too soon. Nice round big sound, good control and efficiency are more important. You may wish to read this MaynardFerguson.com . Most important is to play with a big, deep breath and full, broad sound.

4. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    yer i know but im trying to do well in the scale lol at the moment. im doing alright i mean i go higher and higher lyk C,D,E,F and G

5. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Nick?

Would you give Hitman some good advice about embouchure and lip settings too?

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    NLT,

I am not sure if you being funny, but you must know that giving embouchure tips over the net is not an easy task, without seeing what hitman actually is doing. Personally I use the M embouchure (the position of the lipse when pronouncing an "m" - ask rowuk, he will probably explain it better than me), no smiling when going up, as little movement is possible. Efficiency-every unnecessary movement is also undesirable. Hitman, if you can look the bonus DVD going with one of the new star war movies (the music video bonus with john williams and LSO) may give you to right idea about lip set up...But best as always is to get a good teacher. If you cannot, you may wish to get online lessons from people who do that, like Nick Drozdoff or Adam Rapa.

7. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    No, I was not trying to be funny at all. I ment it seriously.
    It was only ment to give Hitman some basic advice.

I have some times experienced beginners that plays with their lips "inside"
    the mouthpiece with an "unstabilized" aperture.
    This makes the sound "non-beautiful".
    After a little advicing about how to form the embouchure, the sound becomes
    nicer, it is funnier to play and the improvement comes faster.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hitman should visit a good trumpet player in his area. All of this internet advice really only helps when you have experienced it with somebody good!

There is no corner of the USA without a decent trumpeter somewhere close. They may not have time for regular lessons, but even some help is better than none at all!

I hate to see these young players waste years goofin around. One month of prevention is worth more than 10 years of repairs!

9. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA

AMEN! :thumbsup:

10. Hiya999

Hiya999 New Friend

Aug 20, 2008
    *sigh*

anyways..i press when going up the scale too.. i know its "wrong" but i just cant find another way to play, even with the normal concert Bb scale.

to trumpetnick: "as little movement as possible" but is it just faster airspeed and thats all? i tried playing without pressing and all i get is just air. (anyway i think i am, and we're going off topic from high notes to embrochure problems)

well till now, i'm the only trumpeter in my (school band's) section that can play(hit) a high C.. but i cant maintain. my tone will be very very thin..
    =( wat can i do?