High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bhstrumpet18, Jan 20, 2011.

1. bhstrumpet18

bhstrumpet18 New Friend

Oct 2, 2010
    Bakersfield, CA
    More and more playing in the professional world, I see that all players care about now adays is how high they can play. Since when did playing high notes achieve anything? They come with time and practice, stop using shallow mouthpieces and cheap gimmicks to try and achieve "stronger" chops.
    I play on a CG Personal mouthpiece, claude gordon if anyone doesn't know, and it is one of the deepest cups out there and over the years my range has been comprimised at first, but over the years it has increased combined with my Benge CG I have a huge sound.

I guess my point is that people have lost the trumpet sound to the "easy way out" Any thoughts or comments?

2. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Yes, I do believe that alot of "trumpet players" are obsessed with the upper range, per Maynard, but theres so much more-TONE is the #1 thing for me. Sure, I work on high stuff, but I also spend about 50% of my daily practice routine doing low stuff-pedal tones, scales, slurs-you gotta do the low, if you wanna get that high!!! Look at all these buffoons on YouTube just screaming away-sorry pals-that aint makin MUSIC!!!!! Lets here you play a nice ballad sometime!!:play:

Kujo20 likes this.
  3. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Ok, what defining "trumpet sound"?!

I think it's cool with big deep pieces, but NOT when I'm playing in a horn section, funk band, lead etc.. But in smallerjazz settings, church etc. I use deeper pieces.

The right tool for the job! Someone have to do the high "cut through" register too..:-)

4. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    it is funny that actually when I play my flugelhorn and it has really really deep MPC I can play easily high E

while on trumpet I struggle with high D

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    bhtrumpet sez:
    More and more playing in the professional world, I see that all players care about now adays is how high they can play. Since when did playing high notes achieve anything?
    ----
    I don't see this phenomenon in the grown up world of "play for pay". Yes, a good range is important but getting the job done is the focus, not playing in the upper register.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I only see the kiddies and snake oil vendors talking about range. If you don't understand what mouthpiece depth is about, then you should not babble about it.

The mouthpiece is no gimmick to a pro. It is a tool that has to be in sync with the individual face and the job to be done. I certainly would have a tough time getting a proper lead sound on a big deep mouthpiece, or getting a symphonic sound with a 14A4A.

7. bhstrumpet18

bhstrumpet18 New Friend

Oct 2, 2010
    Bakersfield, CA
    The simple fact is, bigger sound is better sound. I don't understand how anyone wants shallow sound. Shallow sound comes from shallow mouthpieces, they are tools, they are shortcuts

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dude, you should seriously stop while you are ahead. Did Maynard have a shallow sound? Did Bill Chase? How about the plethora of other professional lead players who use shallow mouthpieces?

The right sound is "better" sound, and most of the time it has much less to do with the mouthpiece and much more to do with the player. It isn't about playing on a deep mouthpiece and it isn't about some sort of a "bigger is better" mumbo jumbo concept.

9. bhstrumpet18

bhstrumpet18 New Friend

Oct 2, 2010
    Bakersfield, CA
    Have you heard Maynard or Bill Chase play classical songs? Anything other than screaming high notes? No.

Yes, they are known for their unique ability and great pieces. Maynard is an anomoly in the trumpet world. There is no one like him, huge sound, extreme high register.

You cannot learn to play symphonically with a shallow mouthpiece, you will NOT ever get the same sound that a bigger mouthpiece does such as my CG Personal. Yet, I can play G above high C consistently with CG personal. I want any person on a shallow mouthpiece to try to play that high on a mouthpiece like mine, they can't.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wow - pretty sure of yourself aren't you. I could scream Gs above high C on a Bach 1.5 C. Is that big enough for you?

What you posted above about playing symphonically with a shallow mouthpiece...well, duh! But, keep in mind that until Bud Herseth got into a car accident that changed his chops, he was playing symphonically on a Bach 7B - not small, but not huge either.

Again, maybe you should stop while you are ahead because there are no absolutes when it comes to music or the equipment is it played on, yet you seem to insist that there are.

For the record, there are recordings of Maynard playing classical literature and he's frankly pretty good. I can't say what equipment he was using though.