High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bhstrumpet18, Jan 20, 2011.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I recently attended masterclass with former principle trumpets for TSO and O'Keefe Center. They were talking about how silly it is that modern trumpet players think a symphonic sound comes from a big mouthpiece. They all played something equivalent to a Bach 7C or 5C. That is the 2 cents from guys 80 years old or so who made their bones log ago in symphonies. Bud Herseth started out on a 7C until he got injured. So, what are we to take away other than as always, it is the player.

BrotherBACH

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Its the player not the mpc BrotherBACH is right. There are no absolutes when it comes to individuals. Best wishes. Sorry if I steped on any toes, opinions are just that, opinions.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---
    Really? I use a 10 1/2 C. What would you recommend?

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ----
    Preach on BrotherBACH, preach on!!
    Listen to what he's sharing with you. It's the player, not the tools.

5. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Wilmer Wise posted a YouTube video montage of morons playing their CC's...I wish I could find it...

6. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Oh dear. There do seem to be a lot of ill informed , perhaps jealous replies here as concerning sound, mouthpieces and upper register.
    bhstrumpet18, are you sure you aren't really "yourbrassinstructor" causing dickish trouble again?

The phrase that all pros use is "right tool for the job". End of conversation.
    Anyone who tries to play lead tpt on a 1.5c is looking for trouble. Likewise anyone who tries to play principal tpt in a symphony on a marcinkiewicz.
    Stop bleating about "cheater" mouthpieces and all the other bullshit that you others are saying here. As Wayne Bergeron once said when some moron said something similar to him about cheater mouthpieces, "here's mine, let's hear you cheat on it" or something along those lines.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I got 1 Maynard CD that has "summer of 42" which is an awesome ballad, and not screaming either --- but like Trickg -- I don't know what equipment he had -- just that is sounds great ---- and it's a ballad.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    here - I will help take some heat for you --
    everybody ought to play on the deep Asymmetric 3C+544 , because that is what I play on--- nothing else matters. lol,lol.

ps. play on whatever mpc(s) you can play well on, and whatever trumpet(s) you have, play HIGH, or play LOW -- and/or everything in between --- whatever pleases the crowd, and you, and have fun, enjoy the music, and pass on all the knowledge you learn to help others play well also.

9. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Regarding the question concerning range in the context of the "professional world," I would say that how much range should concern you would depend on the requirements of the gig or gigs that you perform on. If you are playing in lots of situations where an extended high range is needed, then obviously you would care more than if you play mostly small combo jazz gigs. That being said, in my experience, most professional situations require having a range of a G about high C.

I always find it funny how many posts there are about range compared to how many posts about tone, phrasing, musical conception/style, the art of playing lead (much more that high notes) etc. Range is always a piece of the puzzle but musicianship reigns supreme in my view.

10. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    So, shallow mouthpieces are a tool and a shortcut, but bigger mouthpieces are not? They're all just tools to get the results and sound that you want, the sound that the music calls for.