High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bhstrumpet18, Jan 20, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

A bigger sound is a better sound? I don't agree with that at all ...... That's just too general, cut and dried, etc ..... Miles sometimes gets a smaller, thinner sound (than what he does more often), for effect, for a passage, for a song, whatever. He varies his sound over time and it's not always "bigger". It's more "musical" for what he's wanting to do at the moment. More musical is better, but just a blanket statement that bigger (sound) is always better .... don't agree.

Turtle

rettepnoj likes this.
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    no doubt -- musicality and tone, etc. are very important. I think "range" is a definitive measure to most people of "advancement". Ex. If you can hold a G above high C for 20 counts -- that is a definite measurable quantity. tone, phrasing, musicality, etc. is kind of arbitrary depending on who listens.

I remember in high school - my band teacher, a very proficient trombonists used to say lots of the same stuff as on TM --- Like Maynard was a screamer, and you don't need any notes over high C, there is no music written there, etc. --- I have heard others besides here -- who just don't like Maynard style, they prefer classical, or jazz, or whatever. (and people could develop their own music and their own sound)

so I think range is not only a defineable quantity, but it is also something that (when tastefully done in tune) is dependent on who WANTS TO LISTEN TO IT. the same could be said about jazz and classical, etc. -- the only importance that it's genre has is to the people who want to listen to it.
    but then again -- I don't see a lot of people saying -- "jazz", the music is not written that way!!! who knows maybe the non jazz crowd should start a thread like that. "jazz" is not written like that, lol. I bet that wouldn't go over well.

3. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Just to clarify my comment, I'm not saying that musicianship trumps range-range is part of musicianship. However, it is a mistake in my view to neglect other aspects of musicianship due to obsessing on high notes. Maynard himself didn't do that- he developed all aspects and was a complete player.

In regards to my statement regarding most professional situations (at least the one's I've been in), having a good solid G above high C will meet the job requirements of most gigs. Of course, that doesn't mean that it isn't good to have more!

fraserhutch likes this.
  4. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    that may have something to do with the diameter of the mouthpiece for you. I can't produce high notes on anything with a rim narrower than a bach 3C. So I play my 3C for church stuff, concert setting, and soloist work, and my 3E for lead playing. It could also be the backbore of the mouthpiece or the trumpet.

5. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    I disagree. I play on a Bach 3E, and I've had many people tell me it sounds just like I'm playing a 3C. There are a couple of good crossover mouthpieces, and the 3E, in my opinion is one of them. Like many of the other guys posted, it's about the gig, the audience, what the music calls for, and what one wants to sound like. There are no rules to development, and it's like any other form of education: every person is different and they do what they need to do, how they need to, and with what they need to, to learn and get better.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Good gravy...................

You know I bought the same driver Tiger Woods uses and I still cant hit a ball like him, must not be holding it right........................

I just made a decision, instead of writting a LONG response I will say again.................Good Gravy!!!!

TD

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I sort of agree with you,but why are you using such a small tiny mouthpiece? You do do realize there are much larger mouthpieces out there that you could get a really big sound out of instead of the puny sound you get from a CG? I don't know of any players in any major orchestras using CG's and they all have really huge sounds,so if I were you I'd go a lot bigger.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    just to clarify my point -- I wasn't knocking anyone -- just saying that each person has their "own idea" of what is and what isn't music. I think we should try to understand that each person is an individual, especially with trumpet.
    We always were forced to play classical in high school for concerts -- and I truly like classical music, but I just don't want to play it on my trumpet at this stage.
    and for me -- I just never "got the language" of jazz, I can appreciate jazz trumpet players, but it just isn't my forte, so to speak.
    and Yes - Maynard was a complete player -- I have some CD's where the ballads are just as awesome as the high notes. Then You got the Doc Severinsen's, Al Hirt's, Phil Driscoll's, etc. --- those trumpeters who were/are making their own sound -- whether it be high range or not, but each is still different.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm hoping we have mashed potatoes with that.

10. orcanels

orcanels New Friend

Sep 20, 2010
    Shortcuts they may be but they work. Simple as that.

all you guys here can complain and say that playing on a lead mouthpiece is cheating, well go ahead, truth is that it works, and in alot of situations you have music you need to play that you cant wait years to develope the range for.