High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bhstrumpet18, Jan 20, 2011.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Unless you and Miles brush your teeth before playing, you can play any horn or mouthpiece you like, except MINE!!!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. iainmcl

iainmcl Pianissimo User

Nov 4, 2006
    New Zealand
    Speaking of teeth...
    Since everybody has a different tooth structure, that also leans towards every Trumpet player needing a slightly different mouthpiece, shallow, deep, narrow, wide...etc.

I'm actually thinking that "bhstrumpet18" is just trying to wind us all up by posting his/her original statement, but...we took the bait nonetheless.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I can't vouch for Miles, but I brush my teeth before I play the trumpet, thanks for the offer though -- but I am pretty happy with my current set up, so I won't be going on a mpc safari anytime soon. Of course a new horn --- well that is better than mashed taters and gravy.lol.

4. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Ok so you can play a G above top C on your supper huge toilet bowl mouthpiece, when are you ever gonna need to be able to play that high for classical stuff? now lead stuff yeah all the time but have you got the right sound to play lead with your toilet bowl? probably not....

as many of you would agree a mouthpiece does a one thing, change the colour of the sound, there are several factors (cup depth, backbore etc) but the main thing is the colour of the sound. Like said above a 1.5c isnt gonna work on a lead gig were as a 14a4a will but wont work in a classical setting or brassband etc.

shallow mouthpieces are shallow to change the sound- to make them bright its an added bonus they help support up top, I may be wrong but thats how I see it.

On the other hand some young, inexperienced players (like myself a few years ago) bought a shallow MP to play around on and thought wow I can play supper high but my tone is shocking but I can play supper high. You can see how the inexperienced get sucked into shallow MP's and playing high. Since then I have learned to play on several MP's and my shallow lead piece sounds like a lead piece and I only use it when playing lead simple.

at the end of the day its a tool of the trade, you wouldnt use a 17mm spanner on a 20mm nut now would you?

5. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Reedy, not sure what your point is...

Generally, choosing a mouthpiece is based on a few things-what type of playing are you going to do, what kind of sound are you going for and of course style would play into it. While it's the player that mostly defines the sound, the horn and mouthpiece are important factors.

My comments earlier were in reference to playing in jazz and commercial situations. In regards to the classical world, there are others far more qualified than I to answer the original question. Thanks for your input :)

6. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    A few comments......
    -There is no such thing as a "cheater mouthpiece" (IMO). Players should use what feels good to them.

-I'm pretty sure that Thomas Gansch uses a Bach 10 1/2 C Megatone....pretty small mouthpiece...look at the sound HE has (big, full, whatever)

-I think Dave Monette says it like this..."you don't where Wingtips to a marathon"

- (inspired by the Tiger Woods comment) I don't think Babe Ruth's bat hit homeruns for him....it's the player, not the equipment!

-Pleeeenty classical players can play high with HUGE mouthpieces...look at Charlie Schlueter! The man uses a Monette B1-1 (MASSIVE) and he can get WAY up there in the stratosphere!

Thats all for now I think....!! :)
    Kujo

7. funkyattack

funkyattack New Friend

Nov 13, 2010
    All you people too focused on the "right mouthpiece" for the job need to find a good enough trumpet to color it and change the tone

8. pintocb

pintocb New Friend

Jan 1, 2011
    Mpcs cause too much controversy. That's why I switched to playing without one about six years ago. Sure, I get some funny looks on a gig, and I sound like crap, but I don't have to defend my mpc choice anymore!

;)