High notes!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    I thoroughly agree on starting a thread which is all about high notes. The:
    Expression
    How to play them
    Generating a full sound
    And of course excercises that you use to get there.

Personally I am curious to know what everyone else thinks and says about them. Do people have experiences to do with them. Any breakthroughs that cause you to realise 'hey, thats how you play a double C'.

Please do take time to add!!!!

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Look up Mike Williams website or Patrick Hessions website.

Call them and take a lesson, and pick their brains.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  4. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I think some people have an idea that the higher the player can play the better the player is. Not me, i have zero interest in playing high notes, i'd be happy with a solid top line G (its coming). I hate dudes who get to play and just push out a bunch of screaming high notes with little musical context, and then they sit back all smug cause they hit a triple c,... you are not playing for dolphins!

I know maynard ferguson played great high range, although i respect him a lot, i cant really listen to his stuff, give me chet Baker any day.

Horses for courses i guess.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Hasn't this subject been discussed before? Is there anything truly pertinent or useful that hasn't been said yet?

tobylou8 likes this.
  6. St. Rugglin

St. Rugglin New Friend

Dec 9, 2011
    Low Pass Oregon
    "Phil986-Hasn't this subject been discussed before? Is there anything truly pertinent or useful that hasn't been said yet?"

It has to death, but this is a discussion forum. I've been working my way through the 400 plus posts of the general forum . High range is mentioned on every page. However people come here to discuss. They could use the search feature, but what fun is that? So, unless there is an amazing breakthrough that eliminates daily practice of the tried and true, this is going to be repetitive. I personally don't think that's a bad thing. Not everyone wants to discuss their new or used toys.

I've participated on other forums and when topics became so cyclical that it annoyed me I stopped participating.

Many of us don't have the opportunity to talk with other musicians on a regular basis so this could be our only contact with the musical world at large.

7. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Just how snarky should I be? Is failure to use the search features on this site related to intelligence, age, loneliness? What? I doubt much more can be said on this topic.

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Double C Advice??

When you are playing a High G (4th Ledger Line) watch where the back of your tongue is... then raise it while adding air and you will be playing a double C soon enough. You will be able to raise and lower the tongue in union with air and slur back and forth between G & C.