High pitched squeal in my left ear--

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by erasmus, Aug 3, 2009.

1. erasmus

erasmus New Friend

Aug 3, 2009
    especially on high notes starting about high C. Perhaps a bad ear drum? Has anyone else experienced this?:-(

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    erasmus, does your missus play clarinet? :roll:

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    My missus doesn't play an instrument - it is just her squealing at me to stop making that horrible noise.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    could be a perforated eardrum. Only a doctor can tell for sure. Tinitus also comes to mind, that would stay on after you stop playing. Another TMer had a defective music stand that made a noise like this. They thought it was the horn (the stand went everywhere too).

Play Sherlock Holmes. See if it happens OUTDOORS with the mouthpiece only, then with the trumpet, then with trumpet and stand.

It could also be your chops acting funny if you have not EARNED those high notes. They can also make a squealing noise.

5. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I've torn an eardrum once. Not from trumpet playing, I was a child.... sinus trouble etc.
    Lot of bloody scabs in the ear canal.

I would recommend a new practice room; if you can't, change the angle of your projection. Sound may be reverberating, or bouncing off a wall into your ear. Rotate your seat thirty degrees, or shoot through the open door way.

When I got a new flugel, I played it where I always practiced my trumpet. I always noticed after some time a disturbing "resonance", buzzing about. It was annoying!! It is a very large room, I think the culprit was the deep tray ceiling in the room, acoustically didn't agree with the horn frequencies................I don't know, I play it in another large room of the same size , no tray ceiling, no problems.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  6. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    everything is possible, once I experienced a problem with a piano, on the c5 there was annoying buzz. I called piano maintanance to check the piano but everything was fine with it. It was the glas of my window that was vibrating because it was slightly loose. So it really can be anything. Check the furniture and all glass objects.

7. Hoosier303

Hoosier303 Pianissimo User

Nov 2, 2008
    Indiana
    hearing aid feedback?

8. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    If you hold the high note for a long time, does the
    squeal come for a short while and then stop again,
    or does it continue for as long as you hold the high
    note?

Maybe it could be the channel between your mouth
    and ear that is leaking air? In that case the squeal
    would stop after a while (although you keep playing
    the high note) and you would feel an increase in air
    pressure inside your ear.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Could be your eust. tube that runs to the back of your throat from your inner ear. Next time you have a checkup, carry your mouthpiece with you and let the Doc have a look with the otoscope.

Steve