High register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nicko, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Nicko

Nicko New Friend

Jun 26, 2013
    Generally which note begins at the high register?

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I always generally thought G above the staff and up, with anything in the staff being the middle register, and below D under the staff being the lower register.

--bumblebee

3. arlington

arlington Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2012
    Lancaster, OH
    High C

4. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    This is a subjective question and one that depends on your level of skill. It also depends on what kind of a trumpet player you are. High range for an orchestral player is a very different thing as opposed to a big band lead trumpet player.

Most beginners can expect a middle C within a few weeks. (If memory serves me right.)

5. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    Different players have different places where high notes begin.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When the term "middle C" is used in an instrumental music class, or to a full orchestra conductor, it always refers to the note on the ledger line between the treble and bass clefs as it would be played with a C instrument such as a piano or otherwise in the concert key. Yes, as trumpeter / cornetists I've often heard the 4th space of the treble clef referred to as a "middle C" which is wrong, and with a Bb trumpet would not set a C tuning fork to vibrate (aha, the tuning fork is also a C instrument, this a trumpeter / cornetist has to play a D to cause the C tuning fork to vibrate). Yes, one day perhaps teachers of vocal music will not mess up our young minds with the dittys of Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge for the musical notes on the lines of the treble clef, and FACE for the spaces. Such is gender biased to the feminine soprano voice that in puberty changed to bass clef for most males, viz tenor, baritone of bass voice.

No, high range isn't different between a orchestra and big band player ... with exception that in orchestra notes above a C on the second ledger above the staff would be assigned to other instruments that can perform better in that range. Not even manufacturers expect a Bb trumpet to perform well higher than that, as is not to say many big band Bb trumpeters have not played above that, especially so with improvisation or in the Jazz genre. When I want to play in that range, I switch to a piccolo trumpet as I often have done in transposing C piccolo parts (Stars and Stripes, Forever!) and in Vienna Waltzes transposing violin parts and otherwise, lots and lots of piano music.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    One note higher than I can play. :-)

On a more serious note (no pun intended) ... it depends.

I agree with what others stated that the high register begins around G or A just above the staff. I also think the practical range of the trumpet is basically up to an A just above the staff.

But you can easily make an argument that the high register begins above a high C (2 ledger lines above the staff).

Mike

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    not to quivel about words ---- but some people say ALTISSIMO range --- and I think they are speaking of any notes over the high C. To me high range would generally be from the high C to the Double high C (over 5 staves above the staff) ----- of course the practical range where the harmonics of the trumpet are would only be from high C to the G above that (4 staves above) ----- for me, I think the harmonic vibrations (((or whatever makes the sounds ROFL ROFL ROFL ))) seem to deteriorate, and it really takes some -- OOOMPH ENERGY to go above that high G ((((some can, some can't, most of us try))))

9. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    One note higher than you can play easily.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Five Myths of Trumpet Playing

Generally accepted, the high register begins at high C, the one two lines above the staff.