High register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nicko, Jun 27, 2013.

1. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    High range between an orchestral player and a lead big band player isn't different? Yeah, ok. Hugely different concept of sound and different equipment that contribute towards different habits.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There is a different approach to playing high notes in the big band and in orchestra; a good player can switch. Bach regularly goes up to d above the staff, and e is not uncommon. Also, in the orchestra, other instruments can play as high as they want, but fff brass will steal the show every time.

3. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    For me the high register starts when I loose my color and fullness of the notes. When I go too high and they thin out in airy blah.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    ..........and the conductor will stop the rehersal saying "the trumpets are too loud".

Regards, Stuart.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

As it should be!!! ;-)

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The c-note that pays out at the bar owner's cash register.:dontknow:

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I would be more conservative and say the high register begins when you run out of staff lines (that would be G), why, because it is "higher" than the staff... or a high note.

Life really is quit simple!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    High register that you play in still means that you maintain control. Playing high AND not in control is known as screeching, claming, pinching notes. When I do this, I am no longer playing high, but rather failing at a high level.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and that is why people like me will say ----"yeah I can PLAY a high F, or a high G ---- I may have a few notes higher, but I can't tell you" ---- cause the way I feel about it is: can I play it?, and reproduce the note consistently, and have a reasonable expectation that it will always come out "IN TUNE"?, and full, and respectable? so when I can do that (and play at least a few riffs at that level) that is when I consider it --- A NOTE, that I can play. (((((now do I have a DHC? a DHD? -- and what would it matter, if I can't reproduce them notes on command, or play them with any rhythmic ability??? ----))))) ---- then, yeah, I would be squeaking, clamming, and as GM says, failing at a higher level!!!!

10. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    When I get a note to come out of my horn that sounds healthy, that is my high register.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013