HIgh Register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Jun 6, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    In my school's Jazz band we're playing a few pieces including 'Fever'.
    Got quite a lot of high notes.
    I can play them but I don't always get to the right note and I have a problem with doing it in ease.

2. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    What are you asking?

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    So accuracy and reliability is your issue....

Join the Club.

More practice, with working up into the High Register is the only way to gain familiarity and durability.
    The High Register to me is High C to Double C. If you can hear the sound in your head, and just slip away, then it is more practice. If you cannot hear the sound before you try to get it, then you are simply shooting the odds - and have less chance of getting there.

If you can play a Double Scale on the D at anytime, then you probably own that High C just above the Stave. Keep working Scales, Chromatics, and Modal Scales to develop above that High C. Then work on simple tunes, and take them up an Octave.

I am sure there is a lot of advice on many threads on here, worth checking out. We all have to earn those notes, no easy way to own them.
    Good luck

4. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Thanks Peter I will try some studies, lip buzzing, chromatics and two scales every day. Like one relative minor and major.
    Thanks for the advice

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Do you know the Three Safe Steps to High Register?

Step 1: Practice correctly

Step 2: Practice regularly

Step 3: Have patience.

Good things come to people who wait... and practice while waiting!

6. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Taking a piece up an octave until you start losing form (pressure, emboucher breakdown), then try to make it a little further the next time you play it.
    It's like any kind of maximal exercise- get plenty of recovery between sessions. This will get you the strength. This happens once, AT THE MOST twice per week.

On "dynamic effort" days in between, play plenty of long tones between the top of the staff and high c. This will bring up endurance. This should be done three to four times a week.

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    The only real advice has already been given. Now to keep you going during rehersals just take it down an octave, if of course your director is fine with that

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Just so we know, what horn are you playing? I've been under the impression that your main instrument is French horn and you dabble in the trumpet. Either way keep at it

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The problem with upper register is that it is not a "thing" to be conquered. It needs an attitude, it need a musical concept and for a high schooler, needs natural talent. Playing lead is not "natural" for most. There is not a quick fix to download. It requires advanced body use, advanced breathing and an advanced daily routine.

I don't know of any "tips" to ease the workload of getting there, but those with great upper register, practice in the upper register, have long tones and lipslurs in their daily routine as well as "the" attitude.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Buy Top Tones for the Trumpeter by Walter M. Smith. Practice the Preparatory Embouchure Studies for as long as needed and start straight in with the first of the Modern Characteristic Studies.