HIgh Register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Jun 6, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I started trumpet 6 years ago and started dabbing on the horn since last year. :D

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You left out step 4. Make sure you are out of ear shot range from significant other when working up to the High Register
    !Do all you can to maintain a strong relationship with your significant other!

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    #4 isn't always an easy thing to do,G-Man:roll::-o:-(:dontknow::oops:

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    It's not step #4 - rather step #0: Make sure your significant other plays trumpet as well (or some other noisy musical instrument. I married an opera singer: www.reginaschoerg.com) . Step #4 would be - make sure all your cats and dogs are out of earshot (otherwise you'll get a duetto infernale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpHlaVGDN_k

5. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Playing lead also requires (in my opinion) listening to lead players. REALLY listen. Lead playing needs to be musically appropriate for the piece you're playing - weather it's the lead part in a big band chart, or the first part in a Mahler symphony.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    To add to this, it also takes TIME, and some people never get it. Some people struggle with their upper register their whole lives and playing careers. Some people, myself included, get part-way there, but never truly conquer altissimo trumpet playing.

I suppose to add to this, there are varying definitions of "high notes." For some people, high notes are 1st ledger A's and B's. For others, (this is where I come in) high notes are anything above 3rd ledger E. I'm a rock to Eb, and can still effectively play those at the end of my 3rd set. E's are iffy - I probably have about 65/35 hit miss ratio for E's - fortunately I have very few lines in my book that extend past D#/Eb. Anything beyond that is a crapshoot, which is why I don't try to seek employment as a big band lead player - from what I've seen, an effective big band lead player needs to have 4th ledger G in the bag to play in a true, pro-level big band.