High School Band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by audwey11, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Had a similar situation when I was a freshman. Was offered a chance to play first, but declined and sat first chair second ahead of some juniors and seniors. Just told them that I wanted to learn the ropes first. From my Sophmore year on ,I sat first chair first in all our ensembles. I didn't brag and just did my best to get my part right:oops:

2. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    I just got the music a few rehearsals ago and am really trying to get the parts to be as perfect as possible! I try to keep the ego down to a minimum, and thus far it has worked for me. No one seems to hate me, that is always a good start! :cool:

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Keep smiling!

4. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    Be polite and friendly, but under no circumstances "hold back." In other words, play to the best of your ability, PRACTICE, take private lessons if at all possible.

Brad

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Play the best you can and don't discount the other chairs. Just because your first chair doesn't mean your better than anyone else, just means you fit that part. Maybe you were not as good on the other parts. Where does everyone get the idea that 2nd, 3rd and 4th parts are easier than first? To me the main melody is the easiest to nail down! I would loose the feelings that you are better, but instead ONLY a small part of a team!

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I concur with what Dennis78 said. In fact, when I was in high school I too thought 2nd and lower parts were often much more difficult ... but had more rests (thus one must be sharp with their counting). One day my director, who was also my private tutor, told me that without the harmony of the lower parts there wouldn't be much more to a song ... and that includes the basses. Thus, I learned to play the bass instruments as well, and a few times in high school did. I'm still doubling on a euphonium.

7. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    I am not currently taking private lessons, however I intend to.

8. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    If I made it sound like I thought I was above to other parts and that they didn't matter, that was not my intention. I have a friend who is a very good player, who plays second. I know that chair doesn't equal skill. However, that is often the perception.

9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    As long as you know that then you have nothing to worry about, you'll only project what you feel and if that is how you feel then others won't feel intimidated. I always assume that most of the band try's real hard and does the best they can with the parts they have and that is why we sound good and people applause

10. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    I try my hardest to stay humble, I also practice really hard to make sure I maintain my chops and can lead the section to the best of my ability.