High School Band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by audwey11, Dec 8, 2015.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Funny, at the time I was in High School Band, there were a total of zero silver trumpets, or any other brass instrument. The yellow brass was the thing then and the opinion was that they were "superior" ( note, I said OPINION )

2. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    At the band camp I attended this summer with at least 25 trumpets, about half of them had silver trumpets. At the time, I had a yellow brass one.

3. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I have a silver plated Xeno with a Yellow brass bell. Back then, could you not have both?
    What was the popular finish back then? Lacquer?

Or are you talking about pure sterling silver as a bell?

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Pretty much we're talking about Laquer. This was in the mid 60's, and in fact Yamaha would only be mentioned in reference to some not-quite-accepted Japanese motorcycles just making the scene.
    Brands I would recall, besides my Sears, Roebuck ( Blessing made it) would have been Selmer, Bundy, Bach, King, Olds and maybe a Holton making an appearance.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Why not? Methinks such would be overwhelming for YOU! I don't have one, and I don't need one to be ME!

6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I remember in grade school so many kids had Bundy instruments with those green cases I was sure my Clevland superior was indeed inferior. That actually made me like it a little better again theirs were shiny. Nowadays I couldn't care less and I'm more into cornets anyways.

7. True Tone

True Tone Piano User

Aug 16, 2015
    Alabama
    In my school, going off of memory, it's about 2/5ths of our trumpets with Silver Plated horns, with them mainly concentrated in middle to upper chairs. (so in the top 2 bands basically)
    I'll see how silver vs lacquer is in Band tomorrow. (we have 7 trumpets in the top band, a "Wind Ensemble," for reference. Now if I could get them to play Cornets when the part's written for it, that would be nice, but I don't have any influence over that.)
    I will add, however, that none of them view either finish as being better than the other, to my knowledge.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  8. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/silver-lacquer-brighter-darker-83467.html

There isn't really better or worse when it comes to finishes, it's just the fact that it's different (or as you can see in the link above, sometimes they really aren't that different)

9. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Popular band grade horns Bundy, stuffy as.....

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Audwey, My advice. Keep in close communication with the section and encourage the heart. This is a leadership position, and these I feel are the two most leadership characteristics to move on organization (or band section) on. Welcome to TM and welcome to the world of leadership. If you do it right, good harmony will follow.