High School Band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by audwey11, Dec 8, 2015.

1. blw2

blw2 New Friend

May 20, 2015
    One thing I'd add is to be careful about not dumbing yourself down just to be "one of them".
    Don't purposely make mistakes
    Do your best, work hard to improve
    don't ever compare yourself to them in your own mind.... its all about your journey.

As soon as you start comparing yourself, saying to yourself how much better you are than the other guy it's done. Even if you never say it to them directly, you are very likely to let it show in body language or other subtle ways.

I like the idea about being encouraging to others that someone suggested. I think if you genuinely cheer their successes the rest will come naturally.

2. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    I am laughing right now about being addressed by my username! I am trying to be more of a "leader" without taking the role of the director.

3. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    Oh trust me, I would never make mistakes on purpose. I am a perfectionist and would probably hate myself if I made mistakes on purpose, I am pretty hard on myself to begin with!

4. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    I am also trying not to mention the district music festival coming later this month of which I am a second trumpet. I have found playing a slightly lower part has really helped improve my knowledge of perspective on everything I have said on here thus far, however I have not experienced playing 3rd or 4th (although one of the songs does have a fourth part.)

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Don't get too full of yourself... There is a new batch of hot shot freshman coming in every year, and YOU may be the upperclassman getting beat sometime.
    I tell my students that the trumpet gene pool is bigger than the band hall at your individual school. There is a 1st chair kid in EVERY high school in the country. There are about 25000 High schools. Where do you rank in that pile?

Let's say you are a REAL stud... and make 1st chair all state. Yep... there are 50 states. Every one of them has a 1st chair all state player... EVERY YEAR. Who is the 1st chair in a section made up of all 1st chair players across the country.

So suppose that there are 5 openings in the trumpet studio at a major music school (Julliard, Eastman, Oberlin, UNT, etc...). 45 1st chair All State are going to LOSE the audition.

If you are the best guy at your school that may not be because YOU are so good... Maybe it is just because THEY are pretty lame.

Don't compare yourself to others. Master your fundamentals (scales, flexibilities, articulation, range), practice sight reading ALOT, do some ear training, learn music theory, practice improvisation and in 4 years you will have a chance to be the hot shot freshman again when you go to college. If you only worry about the knuckleheads in your band that show up but don't practice then when you get to college you will be in for a surprise. It is not a big deal to be better than someone that doesn't try.

not really... it tarnishes alot and shows scratches easily. and.. it is only silver PLATED. The silver will wear through where your hands touch it and there is nothing uglier to me than a tarnished silver horn with brass showing through the worn plating. How your horn looks doesn't matter AT ALL. Only how you sound and how well you play.

6. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine

Thank you for the reality/ego check... I practice really hard, but maybe I am not really as good as I think I am, maybe this is all a game in my head. However, just because I am not an all state player, but that doesn't mean that I can't play. I didn't put this post to show that I am some "hot shot," I just wanted to hear some different perspectives, including yours.

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Your position is always in danger of someone younger, faster and cheaper coming along and taking it.

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Did you audition for all-region, or all state? Didn't make it? There you go... now you have a target to aim for.

You are right... if you are not an all-state guy it doesn't mean that you can't play. Just not as well as those that won the audition on that particular day. You will have 3 more years to get there. THAT should be the goal... not having the shiniest trumpet, or beating the dopes in your section.

When I was a high school senior we had a hot shot freshman show up... he was obsessive about getting better (his older brother was a college music major at a serious music school). He was not at all worried about being better than us upperclassmen, he wanted to be better than his brother. He was an all region player his freshman year, then all state the other three. His brother got a PhD in Trumpet Performance and a teaching gig at a good music school and has written books. the kid for the last 25 years he has played in a major symphony orchestra. He won... but the brother has a better pension and doesn't have to play Nutcracker 25x a year for 30 years. Maybe it is a tie!?

BTW... three of us upperclassman quickly recruited him to join our all state trumpet quartet ensemble!

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's a great point. When I was a Senior in HS, I was 5th chair in the All State band - the first two guys were flat out awesome, the gal who sat 3rd was very good - overall better than I was and more rounded, but not as aggressive from a personality perspective. (and that actually matters IMO) The kid who sat right in front of me must have had a stellar audition - I probably should have been ahead of him, but it would have been a wash because the kid who sat behind me probably should have been ahead of me. There were over 25 trumpet players in the All State band that year, so being #5 out of the top 25 in the state doesn't sound too shabby, right?

Only, this was Nebraska. Most of the population is located in the Eastern 3rd of the state, and it's #37 out of 50 in terms of population. Not only that, but the whole west half of the state is peppered with tiny rural towns and small band programs. Almost all of the trumpet players that year were from the Eastern half of the state - I was the exception being from a dinky town near the Colorado and Kansas borders.

This doesn't mean that I wasn't a decent trumpet player, but at my level, I doubt I'd have even made All-State band in a state like Florida or Texas - two states that at the time were big, had much larger talent pools, and who had reputations for running solid HS band programs.

It's all relative.

10. True Tone

True Tone Piano User

Aug 16, 2015
    Alabama
    3/7 Silver Plate, 2 Bachs and a Yamaha, and no real indication of anything.
    And while I don't know how Maine's band program is, I highly recommend listening to the above few posts.