High School Band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by audwey11, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    What your mentality is IMO is more than 50% of your performance ... one has to believe they're good to actually be good.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Audwey,

count the number of times that you have posted "my", "me" or "I". The freshman in you is screaming pretty loud. Maybe you DO have something to be concerned about?

3. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    That may take a while, you are probably right...

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There seems to be a slight contradiction here. Others on the forum keep telling her how she should focus more on her own playing and what she's doing and less on the other people, yet when she makes a point to mention what she's doing for her own playing and her own actions, (all which would require her to use the words "my", "me" or "I") now she's getting blasted. That doesn't seem very fair, does it?

High school kids by nature are egocentric, and any trumpet player worth their salt is going to be even more so. Aside from that though, I think that comparison and competition is a good thing - it's what drives us to be better, and work harder. I'd venture to guess that anyone who has risen to the top of their field, whether it was Maynard, Doc, Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt, probably had a fair amount of self-centeredness about them in order to advance to where they did.

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Audwey- your answer and your general attitude expressed in your posts indicates to me you are quite reasonable and grounded. I think you are a very mature thinking young teen. Keep it up.
    I'd hate to see some of my writings from the 9th grade. it would have been me, me, my, my, I, I all over the place!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Patrick,
    you know that the very best players simply produce and don't really talk about themselves much. I didn't blast and audweys response was very good. The basic theme of this thread is how one interacts with an "older" section. Keeping an eye on the me, my, I is a useful technique to not wearing out your welcome.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Gotcha - I agree, when dealing with the rest of the section, keeping my", "me" or "I" would definitely be prudent.

8. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    To be completely honest, I really don't talk that much in band to begin with, and when talking to the upperclassmen, it isn't normally about me. I'm just there to play music!

9. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    When I was in a homeschool band, I was at least three years younger than most of the members. I had a lucky blind audition, and got first part. It was only my second semester so I didn't know very many peope. I didn't really talk but just played. I total get it.

10. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA

This is when you begin talking in the third person...