High School Band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by audwey11, Dec 8, 2015.

1. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    Perfect, Audwey will now refer to herself as "Audwey,she and it." Audwey is now Jimmy from Seinfeld, not the least bit awkward!

2. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    Yet another update! I have become more friendly with the upper classmen in my section, I have noticed the relationship has become better.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Good news! If I were you I would continue not talking much and let your horn do it for you. Effort spent thinking about you and how you fit in, could be better used on refining your skills. It is normal at your age to be concerned about your relationships with those around you. Rest assured they are having the same thoughts. Work hard, and be friendly and respectful of everyone, and you'll be OK.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And that is how it is done. You are well on the way to experiencing what it takes to be a leader. Now it's the trumpet section, then as a business executive, and who knows, maybe the Presidency. And it's all due from the experience gleaned from playing the trumpet - God's instrument. Yes it is.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hell, it's normal at my age to be concerned about your relationships with those around you... and I have the lawyers' bills to support it!

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    This may be cute, but I think it devalues (my) good advice to the OP. Teenagers have a much different take on how they relate to their peers.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My intent is not to devalue your advice at all. And most people that know me would never accuse me of being cute.

I am a pediatrician, and I am an internist. I use relationship building skills in these two areas of clinical work I perform every day with every patient. After thirty some years of practice I feel I am pretty good at it. A teenagers "situation" may be different than yours or ours, but their "take" has the same dynamic. They need to relate not only to their peers, but also to individuals that are senior to them that they must be able to effectively "communicate" in order to proceed in a favorable direction. This takes on the functional skills and the ability to apply "ABC" analysis to chart the most constructive course to get the task done. From the posts by the OP, it appears this is going well. I think that is what we are both saying and there is value in both of our perspectives, that is for sure.

8. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    I agree that I should focus on my playing, however I consider it rude to ignore the people near me. Playing is still my main focus, however being seen as cold and ignoring them completely wouldn't really make the situation much better. I take my playing very seriously, and frequent practicing and hard work got me my chair, as well as helping me place second trumpet in a district honors festival (most of southern Maine.)

If this is seen as a "showoff" post that is not my intention, I am just stating that hard work, and focusing on my playing has really helped me accomplish my goals.

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    You are a very mature young lady, Audwey

10. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    Thank you very much, that is very nice to hear!