High School Music Programs Declining

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Marcellus has a wonderful band program grades 4-12. Two great bands at the high school, but no orchestra. I live in Marcellus, but teach in North Syracuse, a much bigger school system.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OK - Syracuse is big enough -- so no more hassles from KT on your math. Sorry about that, I hassle the Dr's on the site about their spelling, hassle the classical people (just because), and hassle the directors --- because they couldn't play the drums, and somebody took a stick away---- and they became conductors!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL come on, laugh, -- my community band director laughed at that one ------ he went from trumpet, to drums, to conductor!!!!

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    My HS was a vocational school at that time. It's now called a Senior High. Timken Vocational. Only two HS's in the city now, down from 4 when I was in. The other city school is McKinley. The largest bands are county/TWP schools, Jackson and Glenoak. My wife's school Canton South still has a pretty good program, but is marching somewhere between 64 and about 75.....:oops:

4. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I think we need commitment to many more things than just funding! I am sure we can all find many horror stories of school systems failing to support music programs as they should but I think it all goes to education in general.

It seems that each generation coming up thinks they have some new idea or discovery in what is going to make a better student or is more important to learning but this is more often not the case as it is the case.

Case in point, our local school system has chosen this year to eliminate the part-time educator who handled the 5th grade instrumental program and pass it to the 2 general music teachers (who have no instrumental experience) all in the name of cost cutting and providing more general English classes. This school board/administration has been shown many studies that prove student who are in the instrumental music programs are the better students and actually excel in other subjects as a result. The old saying of 'penny wise and pound foolish' has somehow been lost (maybe lack of education).

I could go on and probably state many other obvious points to this argument but I fear I would sound like a fanatic. Somehow we need to get our education system back to some of the glory days of the 50's & 60's. I am scared to death of what our civilization is going to look like when the Boomer's grandkids take over.

Ray Z :dontknow:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This example sounds like a funding problme to me and that you are in agreement and supporting my suggestion that funding programs are key.:dontknow:

Your signature line states: IF IT AIN'T BROLE, DON'T FIX IT (I personally think civilization advaces fast in the perspective that IF IT AIN'T BROKE, BRAKE IT)
    My saying is: THE BUCK STOPS PROGRAMS WHEN THE BUCK STOPS FUNDING HERE

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Oh, Doc! So glad that wasn't a prescription!!! BigDub???

7. Masterwannabe

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Did not intend to imply that funding did not need commitment but only that other issues need commitment too, I just think that without the proper education on a lot of points the commitment to funding is harder to get.

Ray Z :play:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

8. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I know I have already thrown in my two cents (no pun intended, given the discussion on funding), but another thought comes to mind: a band program (or any performing arts program) has to have a clear understanding what they are trying to impart on the students. If the focus is only on competitions won, trophies garnered, accolades received and there is no vision of how the program can/will change the student, the program is off the mark (my opinion).
    Our local high school's performing arts programs (bands, orchestra, choirs, drama, theatre tech, dance, etc.) have struck a balance between embracing those who are still very solidly in the beginner range and providing challenging opportunities for those at more advanced levels. The focus is always on the kids, giving them opportunities, encouraging them to grow, celebrating success and constructively learning from mistakes. Every kid is pushed and I believe most end their 4 years having progressed much further than they would have ever imagined possible. Even if they never find themselves in the spotlight afterwards, I'd like to think the program has taught them a basic concept: every over-achiever starts off as an achiever.

9. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    In general, it comes down to what someone said earlier here - the music our parents listened to influenced us.
    The other big problem is technology. Most kids would rather play with their iCrap devices than with a trumpet.

Here's something I saw on the internet, which sums up my feelings about how we've pretty much teched ourselves into a really bad situation:

Remember when...
    a. you used to have a conversation with another human
    b. used a phone only to make/receive a call
    c. knew who your neighbors were.
    d. didn't have to look at a device in your hand every 30 seconds.
    e. talked to your kids and not texted them
    f. ate dinner together at the table
    g. drove your car and listened to the stereo
    h. your life was yours and not on a wall on a website.
    i. spent money on something of value
    j. didn't have a robot voice talk to you
    k. knew where you were going and didn't need directions
    l. didn't have an app to get dressed in the morning

10. Masterwannabe

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado

AMEN, AMEN and AMEN !!!!!!!!

Ray Z
    :play:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.