High School Music Programs Declining

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Sep 16, 2012.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    While I am not about to step into the variable debate, I agree that funding is a major problem. I work at the state level in education and am fortunate -or unfortunate - to be able to see what is occurring at many, many schools. When money isn't there the arts are the first area to be whacked. It has also become very expensive for parent. For my son's HS - middle class HS here is Alabama, I wrote a $250 check for summer band, another check for band fee, another check for uniform, -and I am sure there are more to come. Oh yeah, -while not band, I sent a check last week for $20 for allstate tryout music for choir. A lot of kids come from homes where all these expenses, plus instrument and care become out of reach for them.

It also seems that "interest" is another issue. Even where directors are available, the kids aren't lining up for band. Almost all who are playing in the band at the HS my son attends have parents who also played in band (i.e., encouraged to take band because of parents). Directors have to work very hard at recruiting members today. As in a previous post, I think part of that results from lack of exposure to "band" type instruments on TV and lack of folks to emulate. (When is the last time kids saw a famous clarinet player on TV?). Kids don't have the opportunity to see bands -other than at half time. I remember seeing a HS trumpet player (he ended up #1 ALL State) playing with a HS jazz band back when I was in 4th grade -from that moment I knew I would be a trumpet player. Still remember the song that was playing -well, actually not the name, but can play the tune.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I could go on a rant about how money is squandered in the public education industry but I won't. Suffice it to say that as high as taxes are and the more and more money is shoved at education, band/choir parents should not have to pay any fees i.e., NOTHING!!! [​IMG]

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Back in the day ..... late 60's, when I was in elementary school, our program had everything we needed INCLUDING INSTRUMENTS. All supplied by the school. If someone wanted to get into band and start playing an instrument, all they had to do was sign up.

As a side note ..... When my family took me out of school for 2 weeks to go on a (crazy) month long driving holiday through Mexico around Christmas time, with a big group of adults and several kids .... I couldn't take the trombone from school with me (or rather, WISELY I didn't take it ... we lost hubcaps, mirrors, the vent off the roof of a camper, etc.), and so I came back to band without a month that other kids had. The musical director treated me badly because of it and I quit, NEVER to play in school band again. :-(

Becuase of that thoughtless director, I missed marching, hazing, and all the rest. :dontknow:

Turtle

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    There may be places that money is wasted, but Alabama does a pretty good job on what we get. Right now we are 50 th in the nation for property tax. We recently looked at what might happen if we DOUBLED our property taxes. Imagine what dollar figure that would be in some other states. Well, doubling our property taxes would raise us from 50th place all the way up to 50th. Yes, I said 50th. We are being pretty good stewards with our funds, I would say.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, my rant would be on federally mandated programs involving social issues that, to my knowledge, no system can ignore w/o losing funding. Mandated programs involving social issues (whatever they are, not my point to single out a program) that should be handled by the private sector or by parents/family (No way!!) pull money from true education (3 R's, which are ALL found in music!). TJ, I remember in 5th grade trying all the different instruments for the director to see where I fit. I was the only student that had their own instrument (Martin Imperial cornet). Boy that snare drum was LOUD!!!

6. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Let's be honest. It's not just music, it's all arts programs that are suffering. The following is a broad statement and this forum isn't the place to debate it, but I'll put it out there. IMHO there's been an assault on education, to turn it into "job training". Greed has taken over and things like music and art programs, the things that get students to be well rounded, are unneeded in a greed-based economy. Therefore they're cut first. I call it the "Devry-ification" of our culture. Along with that comes the decreasing ability to think out of the box, which is exactly what large corporations want. Come to work, do as you're told, go home, watch sports buy stuff. That's not to say every corporation is like that, but it seems that's the way things are going.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Back in my elementary school days, our only choice was to play:

A) The rock with stick
    B) Blow like heck though the papyrus

The Brass age had yet been discovered!

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Here in Northampton County NC the school system WILL NOT let me volunteer and I acquired a NC teacher's certificate and they still won't let me ... they mumbled something about not being able to provide liability insurance coverage when the truth is that I would usurp a vacancy that would otherwise be filled by someone from the Teachers for America program if needed.

I offered to volunteer once ... don't expect me to ever do it again.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What? By catching pneumonia from an indiscriminate release of a trumpeter's spit valve egress?

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but were I live, there is a wide spectum of school systems taking volunteers. The Northampton County NC school system's loss can be another school system's gain!

10. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    a big piece of the thing is the economy imo. Parents have less and less reason to justify spending all the money on stuff associated with school bands, and we all know how expensive of a hobby music can be. This being said, trumpet is one of the more reasonably priced instruments.