High School Music Programs Declining

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Sep 16, 2012.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Watch out, patients, here comes Hippokrates wielding his wooden caduceus! Oh, beware the snakes!

When I was a kid I caught a bone tossed away by some ape and used it to beat out a rhythm on a hollow log. My first composition was named Hal's Song (after my uncle who taught me a lot). It featured some rhythmic motifs later picked up on by Richard Strauss.

2. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    The more High School music programs decline the more it reflects the overall attitude about the arts overall in not only society but America as a whole which is meaningless. I'm a product of an educational system that's the opposite of "public" (no snobbery at all when I say) and where I attended the band program was (and still is) nonexistent.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The decline is because of:

1) Cuts in school funding and teachers for arts classes.
    2) Requirements for more manditory classes that conflict with arts classes.
    3) Obsession with electronic social/gaming gadgets.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I remember that... That was no hollow log, that was my head...

I kinda liked it...

Used that same technique to claim my mate and then drugged her back to the cave.
    [Not telling you what I drugged her with... that's my little secrete.]

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    that is not the way I heard the story --- I heard that your mate drugged you, and had a couple of her girlfriends help drag you back to the cave ---- all the time she was exclaiming - "the idea, sisters, behind getting this guy, is that he is a trumpet player --- which means (he might be obstentiously obnoxious) so when I marry him, there won't be any other chicks who would be after him, and that my girlfriends is the way to get and keep a man ---- find someone that nobody else wants, and then claim him for yourself" ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    After speaking with directors, a principle/ex-director and retired school administrator I have gained a lot more insight into what is happening. I will post that discussion in the coming days as time allows. There is hope of fixing this issue but we may have to take a different angle than most have in mind.