High School student looking for aid.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AamirH, Oct 7, 2007.

1. AamirH

AamirH New Friend

Oct 7, 2007
    Hello everyone,

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Aamir and I am in my last year of high school. I've been playing the trumpet in school since grade 6, and decided I want to continue with it after school. I have not bought a trumpet yet and will start my private lessons next week, so I am a bit behind.

1. What I am looking for is just the basics. Stuff that I need to know. What I am also looking for is some trumpeteers to listen to for some influence, so if you could, it would be convinient to drop a few names. My audition for university is only in about 4 - 7 months (depending on university), and I want to start practicing my audition pieces.

2. I want to have two contrasting pieces, so I want to learn a suitable classical piece and a jazz piece for the trumpet. Can anyone recommend any suitable pieces? I figure Haydn is way to hard for me right now, but I haven't even looked at it yet.

3. My gear is just a trumpet that I am renting from my school. Its costing me $75 for the whole year, which is nice and lets me save up when I am ready to buy my own trumpet (which I also need help deciding). I will find out the specific models on the trumpet. My mouth piece is a piece of scrap from grade 8 or so, and I was wondering what kind of mouth piece I should go for (since mine really needs a change) and what the price range would be on it.

4. My pitch range is what I am ashamed of. All my teachers say my tone is clear and bright, but when I play a high note, lets say a G (sitting on top of the staff) my tone gets cracked and broken. I figure this is because I don't put enough air into it. Fortunatley, I am getting better, and got a bright A with much practicing just today. What kind of a range should I be hitting at a university level of playing? And what excercises do you recommend for this? Currently, I start on a C (inside the staff) and go up by 5 semi-tones. If I play it ok, I move on; a semitone higher, so starting from a C#/Db. If I play a horrid tone however, I start again from the C and keep going as high as I can. It works well.

5. PS: Is there some website or book I can take a look at to expand my general trumpet knowledge?

Thanks for the help,
    Sincerly,

Aamir.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Aamir, maybe a trip to a nearby college is in order? Make an appointment with the trumpet professor there, and tell what you told us?

3. AamirH

AamirH New Friend

Oct 7, 2007
    Well, we did have a University Fair that I went to and I talked to some of the people there. My first choice is University of Western Ontario, and they told me to have three contrasting pieces, and theory knowledge up to Rudaments 2. My second choice, University of York, told me to have two contrasting pieces and the same knowledge of theory; Rudaments 2.

The thing is, I really have no time at all to go all the way to a college or university and talk to a professor there. I'm just posting on here to get a little extra help, as when I start my lessons next week, my questions will all be answered hopefully.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Aamir,
    if something is VERY important to you, you ALWAYS can find a way! Start with an E'mail, then telephone call, then visit. It will be the beginning of the rest of your life - don't treat that fact lightly!

I am not sure if a G on top of the staff is enough. If you are VERY musical and the prof has a good record for building chops, it could work though.

You may want to look at the Hummel Concerto. It is not as high or hard as the Haydn. Al Vizzutis' "Cascades" is a modern piece that needs quick fingers but not too much range.

The horn to buy is what you can afford. Without that knowledge, it is hard to recommend something for you. A good horn will cost new about $1000. If you can find something used, you can save up to half of that.

The right mouthpiece will depend on your chops, the music that you want to play and the sound that you would like to create. There is no patent solution. Generally, I start students on something like a name brand 7C and as they develop, we only switch to other things if necessary. Most of my students do switch after 2 years to something slightly larger.

You are at the right place to find out just about ANYTHING pertaining to trumpet! Browse through the forums, use the search feature. There is TONS of information at your fingertips!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  5. thelady07

thelady07 New Friend

Oct 3, 2007
    nc
    Well as far as building range and getting a good air flow, my private lesson teacher in high school had me play out of H.L. Clarke's book(it's refered to around here just as Clarke studies), and I found that it was a great way to improve air flow, which in return, will help your range.

I personally play on a Cannonball Big Bell Stone series, model 725. It's a great horn and costed me about 1600

6. AamirH

AamirH New Friend

Oct 7, 2007
    Thank you for the replies Rowuk, I will check out the Hummel you recommended and take a look at it. Personally, a G on the staff is terrible, but it's only the beginning.
    Thanks for the replies guys.