Higher range easier/harder on cornet/flugelhorn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GuyMcPerson, Feb 10, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And I disagree with this... while I do agree, matching your face with the right mouthpiece is essential, once the interface between anatomy of the face and use of the same mouthpiece is established... this is no longer a variable when the mouthpiece is placed on another horn. That face mouthpiece interface is the same... unless of course you are tightening up because you have psyched yourself out to fail.

I can play the same range whether it's on the Martin Committee, the Olds Super, the Olds Recording, the Olds Ambassador, the... you name it... I tried many horns at trumpet hangs and I get the same range out of them... Here is a variable... some take more work than others... this doesn't make it "harder", just more work... and WILL effect the length of time it takes to poop out.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    For someone who is learning, placing unnecessary obstacles in the way might discourage them enough. A developed player won't notice so much; yes, I usually play the same mouthpiece on all of my horns as well, but I made sure it was tight enough to play on my most open horn, too.

Tom

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    But until that happens, there can/is an impediment in the way of the new player. That is why I refer often to John Storks website for how to choose a mpc. I won't go on a "7C" rant because it works for a lot of players. It also doesn't work for a lot of players. Since the OP seems to be "new" to the nuances of the effect a mpc can have on a player, I'll post the link.

New Page 1

A developed embouchure can play just about any mpc and not suffer a loss of range. It may take more work, but one knows how to compensate. This is not so with a "student". To the OP, FIND THAT MPC!!!! ROFL