Higher register/alternate fingerings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cajuninms, Aug 4, 2005.

1. cajuninms

cajuninms New Friend

Aug 4, 2005
    ok guys...im a sophmore in high skool and can hit a high C, high E on a good day..well..iv just got into watching drum corps and such and hear all the lead sopranos and would like to do that one day..how could i build a higher register over time..i just need this so i can hit high C and D a lot easier..cause my band director ALWAYS has me (first chair player) doin octave stuff in marching with high C's, D's, and E's..i would like to hit these easier..

any suggestions anyone?

also..could someone give me all fingerings (alternate included if possible) for everything above the top of the staff G..if possible just to a G above high C.

2. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
  3. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    If you plan on marching corps in the future here is some advice I have gotten form other people. ODn't worry about your high range that much. After the season is over with you will have played so much you will be able to play ridiculously high if you really want it. I have been told that play a Double G will feel like playing a G on top of the staff by the end of the summer...this guy played second trumpet.

EDIT: Sorry about the typos. I don't have time to clean it up.

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Work on Clarke tech studies and Arban's then get some private lessons.

5. Adrian Perger

Adrian Perger New Friend

Jul 11, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    The Cat Anderson book says use the same fingerings as Mid C to High C no matter how high you go. Which makes sense because the new open notes above High C are D, flat F#, a note inbetween Ab&A, and slightly flat B. So if the open notes are out of tune then the fingered notes derived from them will be out too. The only one that isn't out o tune is the D, so you could play D nothing and Db second, but why confuse yourself.
    So that means that above first space F, every note is the same.

To practice high I like to just take really easy slow tunes and play them in keys that are really high for myself. The aim is to get them really relaxed and perfectly controlled and 100% musical.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Zombie thread

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Soooooooooooo zombie, the zombie's dead (that's zombie!!)!!!:-P:-P

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just for the record, you can't help most kids oriented toward DCI. They are too busy wasting their faces to improve. To fix a problem, you need to take time off and build the new and proper habits. The indestructables prefer crash and burn. Who am I to argue?

9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I hate responding to a 6 year old thread, but with search engines now a thread could come back to life any time. Someone in the future may find the information relevant.

I like chromatic scale exercises (such as clarke #9) and clarke #4 for range work...

Just for practice when doing clarke #4 starting on Bb below high C and finger everything open except the Db & Eb, which I do 2nd valve. High C to High G all open except for the C# (1-2), Eb(2), & F#(2). I do it slowly and as soft as possible.

When I am in a big band I usually play the normal fingerings for D & F.