Highest Note Recorded on a Trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xenoguy, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Not the highest note mentioned, but . . .

May 1, 1982 . . . Doc Severinsen at the end of a 2.5 hour concerto with a symphony orchestra, during an amazing cadenza, played Bb below triple C, and it was LOUD !!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  2. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    NO DOUBT:

YouTube - Maynard Ferguson plays "Maynard Ferguson"

3. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    The little girl in this video puts me to shame. What a fanatastic way to start a trumpet career - already good.

David

4. dcbachtrumpet37

dcbachtrumpet37 New Friend

Apr 19, 2010
    Highest note is probably in the michael haydn trumpet concerto. At least its one of the highest i've heard.

5. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  6. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
  7. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    MF Horn 1, the track is Eli's Coming. Maynard nails an A over Double C that is big and clean. No sliding up to it,he just picks it clean. Maybe it's not the highest note but I think it's the best recording of REAL PLAYING in the upper register.
    Lots of guys can squeal but very few can play high notes. Maynard, like Cat and a few select others were the kings.
    I once heard Arturo live nail a G over Double C that could have peeled paint. Also have heard Jon Faddis play well over Double C live. I was sitting very close to the stage at SUNY Purchase when I saw Jon and his command and ease of playing are simply astonishing.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Certainly not the highest recorded notes, but I've never seen high notes as an athletic event, or something that needs to be achieved on their own.

FWIW, I've always enjoyed this video of Maynard - the kind of power and control he had was dumbfounding, but the WAY he played things was what really set him apart. I love in this clip those super long phrases he played. He was playing that stuff EXACTLY like he wanted to play it and the fact that it was live - he didn't have the opportunity to go back and re-do it take after take - shows what kind of player he really was.

YouTube - Maynard Ferguson Maria