Highest note you've ever heard?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    What is the highest note you've ever heard played on the Trumpet? On youtube there is one where someone plays an F over Triple C, but I heard the highest note ever played was a G over quadruple C. It's kind of cool to have that sort of range, but you would never use it! I know a few guys that can play double c's and double d's.

2. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    A better question, what is the highest note on the trumpet?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have never seen a trumpet or any of its notes high. I know some players that are pretty qualified however.

In theory there is no highest note just vacuum where the brain should have been.

Being that I am the moderator, I declare this question as borderline with no redeeming social value. There is no prize for squeaking and I am not interested in having 20 YouTube juvenile brainless wonders prove that they need 3-in-1.

If any of you know of serious musical content in the stratosphere, here is the place. Anything that I deem stupid, I will delete. This is really a borderline topic very close to "how loud can one fart"!

4. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    I have a friend who can fart pretty loud.

He's a piano/guitar player so that topic is lost on him however. :(

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The top notes on a piano are about as high as we can hear. Anything above that and you'll have to ask a dog or cat. Besides it's not what you do, it's what you do with it that counts. If it doesn't sound good nobody will want to listen to it.

6. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    What it's really all about is playing with quality, that's how I define a note, is a quality pitch. This is why I don't consider mouthpiece buzzing notes (although it is helpful). All of these horrible sounding squeaks I hear, in my opinion, don't qualify as notes. These guys on youtube shouldn't play any higher than they can with a good tone. The highest "note" I heard is about somewhere around a triple c.

I really don't think the trumpet is limited as far as high notes go, but I think a person's ability to play it is. Unless we design robots that can out play us, we'll never know the trumpet's true range (we have designed robots that can play a trumpet, but I think they are far more limited than we are).

7. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Allen Vizzutti came to my school back when I was in college for a "trumpet weekend" sponsored by the trumpet studio. He held a master class where he did a lot of talking/playing & answering questions. He started off with Carnival of Venice...all by himself. He did all the "acrobatics" that you'd expect a player of his caliber to do. Then towards the end he just "popped out" a double C like it was nothing. We all just sat there for a few minutes while he started talking trying to figure out if he really did that 4 feet in front of us. :dontknow: Well...yes he did!!

I also saw Maynard back when I was in high school while he was on tour for his Body & Soul album. I have NO CLUE what I heard that night!! :shock: Let's just say that I have no idea a trumpet could do that!!! :play:

I've also heard Doc live twice. He was "rattling the rafters" too. No idea just how high he was playing but I can tell you it was up there!

8. MrA2You

MrA2You Pianissimo User

May 26, 2008
    Manchester UK
    Tricky one this! Yes I agree the musicallity does tend to suffer BUT I guess there is a large proportion of forum contributors who can appreciate the level of ability needed to play up in the stratosphere and do enjoy that aspect. Even the youtube national anthem montage is very clever and highlights the "skills" required to play in the Gods, and then suddenly Fergie pops up and shows what a master the guy was. Not everybody can carry it off musically, but from a personal point, I top out at F above the stave. but as most music is written with C above stave as tops, I feel more comfy within this "comfort " zone. I can "squeak" em out above that, but thats it, I squeak. Onward and upward!!!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  9. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Allen Vizzutti came to my school back when I was in college for a "trumpet weekend" sponsored by the trumpet studio. He held a master class where he did a lot of talking/playing & answering questions. He started off with Carnival of Venice...all by himself. He did all the "acrobatics" that you'd expect a player of his caliber to do. Then towards the end he just "popped out" a double C like it was nothing. We all just sat there for a few minutes while he started talking trying to figure out if he really did that 4 feet in front of us. :dontknow: Well...yes he did!!

I also saw Maynard back when I was in high school while he was on tour for his Body & Soul album. I have NO CLUE what I heard that night!! :shock: Let's just say that I have no idea a trumpet could do that!!! :play:

I've also heard Doc live twice. He was "rattling the rafters" too. No idea just how high he was playing but I can tell you it was up there!

10. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    IMHO notes in the top end of the trumpet range can definitely add excitement to big band arrangements, rock, pop, funk orientated pieces and jazz solos. It's even exciting in some classical works. I have to say as much as I admired MF I sometimes I found the focus on high notes in his music not to my taste.