Highest note you've ever heard?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

When playing lead in certain charts, one must play some very high notes. However, these cannot simply be "squeeked" out, or they do nothing except detract from the piece. Some of the Basie stuff has some pretty high stuff in it...

2. MrA2You

MrA2You Pianissimo User

May 26, 2008
    Manchester UK
    :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  3. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    Bunny Berigan was a pioneer to that as well. Beginners should note that he also frequented the low range. His most popular number, "I Can't Get Started" has notes from low F# to E or F (I believe) above the staff. It's not all about the high notes, definitely.

4. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    yep...I'd have to say it's all about musicality...and taste. One can squeak and figure out what he just played (easy enough to squeak a G above double C) but musicality is where it's at. Maynard, on one of his recordings, I believe hits a triple C, but I didn't like it. I've had to play a double C before, but while it's fun every once in a while, it's not the coolest thing a trumpet can do. Musicality comes first. When I think of the combination of the two, right now, I think of Wayne Bergeron. Take a listen to his track Laura, from his first album. That song nails a D above double C in a ballad. That's how it's done. :)

5. club300

club300 New Friend

Jan 11, 2009
    High notes? Not accurate? Squeaks?

Check out Brad Goode. One of the finest players on the planet today, he left New York for a great teaching gig at Boulder and has played with most everybody. He has some fun stuff on utube, but you can pick up his most recent cd, "Nature Boy" anywhere on line for a cool trumpet cd or go louisianamusicfactory.com and pick up the Mary Jane Ewing (The Rose of New Orleans) cd "I Love Bein Here with You" for a great collection of side man solos and riffs on standards. Brad hits superb double d on the end of The Nearness of You and does great work on Nature Boy on this New Orleans-based work.

Brad visited and performed at our jazz club in New Orleans many times and after we would foray into the French Quarter to sit in with tons of folks till the wee hours. He has incredible talent with both legit and jazz chops at the top of the food chain. He simply wowed everyone that heard him...pro or not. Besides coming to town to be featured at the club as his own headliner, on his last visit he was the ringer flown in to play lead on West Side Story with the New Orleans Ballet production. After the gig he never failed to drop in to blow open the sky in our Cuban Latin Jazz Groups or groove with the Marsalis family, or be featured with the Rose of New Orleans or sit in with our Kentonesk Big Band. In each case he simply was a completely different level (higher) than all those around him.

I've heard him be incredibly accurate above high C, both as punctuation or controlled solo lines. (Yes, it's true. He can play Confirmation all above high C.) His altissimo ability can peal the paint with matter of fact ease leading a Kentonesk big band, or he can playfully use the ridiculously high range as art, fun or amazement.

Moreover, he's a great, down to earth, cool dude able to teach youngsters and be absolutely self depricating amoung a bunch of a type trumpet players fighting on stage for the high and fast one. We had a trumpet playoff in Nola featuring some pretty famous players that were a bit cocky about their station in the local scene. Having not heard of Brad, he was invited to stage for a playoff...my God. It was pitiful...and awesome. The Goode notes.

If you have a chance to catch Brad playing or better yet, meet him, you will find that even the most prolific professional players are turned on the a new plateau of what can be done on the trumpet. And, I don't mean trumpet players making a living in the Country Clubs of North Carolina or the VFWs of Idaho...(not that there's a thing wrong with that), the players.

Remember when you discovered Micheal Jordan and Tiger Woods? Do yourself a musical favor. And...those of us that can peal the paint with a super g and the start to squeak...we should take a lesson maybe.

Anyway, nailing big fat high notes is a tool, squeaking high notes is a tool, big fat silky low and mid range is a tool. Using them all where they are needed or even unexpected is desired by most. Typically the guy that poo poos the ability is the guy that couldn't do it anyway. There's no wrong answer here. So, nail 'em, squeakem', slide 'em...Ferguson style, Morgan style, Biviano style, Soloff style, your style. I've been able to do some of it. I just found that Brad can do all of them with ease. Here's hoping you can too.

Cheers. P.S. Did I forget to tell you he has an accurate rage an octave an a half below low C?

6. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Well, I heard Arturo Sandoval play a quadruple pedal-c, and you can quote me on that. He went down one octave from low c, stopped, went down another octave, stopped, went down another octave, stopped, and went down yet another octave. It was one of the most outrageous things I've ever heard live.

7. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    wt*??? really, that's a whole octave below a tuba with all four valves down and lipped down to Bb. That's like earthquake status when it comes to pitch. I can barely get a double pedal C.

8. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    I don't really think it matters how high you can play, but the quality of the music coming out on a given note.....I'd take a quality high C over a squeaky triple C any day. Me, I top off at a double high G, and I don't really feel much above that is necessary, except for just showing off.

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just finished a show where the first tune had a written b over high c... so, yes, you need notes above the g.

10. club300

club300 New Friend

Jan 11, 2009
    Agree Trent. There's an A above G on the ole 70's Let It Be jazz band chart....over and over. It was designed to peal the paint...not squeak. So we did.