Highlighting your slides

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Rick Chartrand, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hi Guys

I have a Red Laquered Martin Committee T3467RE with custom delux gold engraving. My slides are done in Gold which gives my horn a great look. My baby is due for a chem cleaning this summer and have the spit valve corks replaced. I am also considering having my Gold slides replated in 24 K brushed gold. Any idea what that would cost?

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    lol, too much for just a slide that'll get grease/etc on it... lol IMO. But that's all fine and dandy, I'm just a lil old fashioned silver player.

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
  4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Rick, there is a guy in Hog Town who does gold plating for a pretty reasonable price... I had a couple of mouthpieces done for about $30 each. If you do a member search for "Happy Canuck", he can hook you up with the firm. Saves the hassle of shipping "cross border".

Oh, by the way... by my responses to the question about why aren't there more colored horns? I'm not specifically against them... I was just responding as to why I believe we don't see more... matter of economics and market demand is all. If one wants a colored trumpet I happen to think that the red with gold highlights is THE ONE that I'd be going for too.

If you get the work completed, make sure you post some pics.

5. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Ed (Tootsall ) --
    ... is "Hog Town" where Harley-Davidson bikers live, or is it a place with lotsa ugly broads ? (In which case, I'm sure I've been there).

Robert Rowe

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    *chuckle* Hog Town is a nickname for Toronto, mostly used by people who weren't born there and who have no burning desire to live there. It is also called "Tee Oh" by certain hosers who may fit that same description. I'm not certain where the nickname came from... perhaps "pork barrelling" by politicians? Hmmm....

7. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hi Guys

Hey Bear thanks for the smile :-)

And Jim thanks for that site. Gives me a better idea of what I'm attempting financially.

Hey Toots how are you? :-) Thanks for the info on 'Happy Canuck' as I'd never ship my baby to the US. To many horror stories I've heard and to much duty to LOL.

Thanks for that analisis on why we dont see more colored horns. Your supply and demand theorie hit that nail right on the head. Red is the only color I'd have gone for and I'm happy you agree. Theres something about Red that makes people feel nice. A red dress, a red leather jacket or in my case a red horn.

Im not planning on getting the work done till late spring, but I will be posting pics if I get the plating done :cool:

By the way Toots, I hail from T.O. and lived the first 20 years of my life there. That city is great but a little to crazy for me, so I opted for something a little quieter like Windsor.

I'm not sure where the term T.O came from. All I know is when I was growing up there, Bob & Doug Mckenzie were all the rage...LOL. Funny hosers and two brilliant comedic actors Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas. Sad thing is that by the time they decided to do a Strange Brew 2 movie in the late 1990's they both had prior commitments and felt also that they were too old to reprise those roles.

Rick AKA Trumpet Man