Hindemith chorale - words?

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by JackD, Jan 20, 2005.

1. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Hi everyone,

Does anyone know where I could find the words for the chorale "Alle menschen mussen sterben"? There are certain places in this where I'm slightly unsure of where to breathe (around the ff section) and knowing the words would really help nail down my phrasing.

I googled and came up with nothing at all :?:

Cheers,

Jack.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    You know what, Jack?

For the first part of it the phrasing is natural and you're probably breathing just fine. When it gets to the loud section, don't worry about it. It's a cry from someone going into that goodnight and not at all quietly. It is rage and then resignation. And then?

Peace...

ML

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Thanks Manny, maybe I'm being a bit too picky.

What a fantastic piece though! I managed to get through the whole thing for the first time today - quite a challenge endurance-wise, though I'm not really sure why.

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "I managed to get through the whole thing for the first time today, though I'm not really sure why."

It's the TM vibe, Jack. The stronger this site gets the better your playing will get. I know my chops have gotten stronger in the last couple of months, so it must, logically, be TM, right?

Help me out... anybody else blowing the heck out of stuff recently for no apparent reason?

"Look deeply into my eyes..."

ML

5. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Somebody told me it meant "Death to all mankind". This was a pretty reliable source telling me, so I'm going to take their word for it, kind of creepy to be honest, but that's Hindemith for ya, It's personaly one of my favorite pieces for trumpet literature.

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Alle= All
    menschen= men (mankind)
    mussen= must
    sterben= die

That's a little different from "death to all mankind". I can't imagine Hindemith being able to relate to such a statement as that. "All men must die" is a statement of peaceful resignation, in my opinion.

ML

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Out of interest, has anyone heard the Bach chorale based around this tune?

8. sdgtpt

sdgtpt New Friend

Dec 3, 2004
    "Death to all Mankind" implies a little bit of evil 'aggression' as if he wants all of mankind to die....

"All men must die" can be interpreted as "eventually, everyone will have a funeral, we are not here forever, our time will runout, ..........all men must die, it's apart of human nature.