Hindemith Question

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by cornetguy, Oct 23, 2005.

1. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    The question before the house.

I was looking in my copy of Lutheran Worship for the chorale at the end of the Hindemith Alle Menschen Mussen Sterben. It is not in there it is in The Lutheran Hymnal of 1941. It is a different tune the the one Hindemith is using. The tune Hindemith is using in every Lutheran Hymnal I own (I have several) is Jesus meines lebens leben. Does anyone know about the mixup, cause of it etc.

2. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    I didn't know there was a hymn.

I just thought hindemidth was saying "everybotdy dies", you know?

3. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I believe it was a Bach chorale, don't quote me on that though. As far as what's on the part goes, Hindemith has his ways of obscurring melodies to make fantastic music, not too sure about that, listen to Symphonic Metamorphisis and see what I mean, best of luck!

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes, Bach wrote a clorale by that name but the one I found didn't match the tune by Hindemith. Perhaps he used that title but with a different melody? And maybe that melody is the hymn you're referring to.

ML

5. JJ

JJ Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2005
    It is indeed a Bach chorale; BWV 643 from Das Orgelbuechlein to be precise. I did a little research and think that the confusion is that Jesus Meines Lebens Leben (first published in the Darmstadt Kirchengesangbuch of 1687) is apparently also known as Alle Menschen Muessen Sterben. Bach may have used this hymn as a source, as the opening melody is very similar.

The text is generally attributed to either Johann Georg Albinus 1624-1679) or Johann Rosenmüller (1620-1684) and has always been associated with funerals and death. Here it is in German and English:

German:
    Alle Menschen müssen sterben,
    alles Fleisch vergeht wie Heu,
    was da lebet, muss verderben, soll es anders werden neu.
    Dieser Leib, der muss verwessen,
    wenn er ewig soll genesen
    der so grossen Herrlichkeit,
    die den Frommen ist bereit.

English:
    Hark! a voice saith, all are mortal,
    Yea, all flesh must fade as grass,
    Only through Death's gloomy portal,
    To a better life ye pass,
    And this body formed of clay
    Here must languish and decay,
    Ere it rise in glorious might,
    Fit to dwell with saints in light.

JJ

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    JJ nails it again.

Jimi Michiel is a musicology guy as well as trumpeter... you guys should talk!

ML