Hiring a Pro

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Heavens2kadonka, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Just wondering how much hiring one would generally be (Like, average price expected for the regionally-known, to nationally, to world-renowned).

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    what kind of gig did you have in mind?

3. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I'm sorry, I forgot to post what the gig was!

The gig would be an accompanied solo feature (jazz). The jazz council is doing a lot of the checking, but since I have such an excellent resource (You all), I'm doing my own research into the subject of hiring a pro.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Well of course it depends on the pro you want to hire. I've heard of some GOOD university players helping out for as little as $100 but with no travel involved (ie, "in town"). I've even seen my daughter arrange for a nationally known pianist to accompany her for that amount....fortunately he happened to be in the same town/part of the country where the competition was being held on personal business at the time. On the other hand I believe I once heard that a band in Edmonton once had Doc Severinsen come up for a workshop/concert and it cost them in the range of $5,000 US about 10-12 years ago. Our community band hired Allen Vizzutti 7 years back and it was around $5,000 Cdn at the time ($3,000 US).

I reckon it mostly depends on how "name" you want the pro to be really. Some might probably do something like that for a few hundred plus travel and hotel expenses. I'm surprised you haven't had any replies yet.. I'm sure some of the site members have first-hand experience (unless they have and are keeping it private).

5. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Not too long ago, Celina High School (About a 3A school) hired Allen Vizzutti to give a trumpet clinic/concert. Unfortunately, I had an AP test the next day, so I couldn't go.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You missed a real treat!

7. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Yeah, I know, but that test gave me 8 college hours of credit. I saw him at ITG anyway.

8. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    The budget my jazz band has is about half a million, I think is what was said. They want someone BIG, lol. Something to bring media attention to our little podunk school :D .

I was also wondering, would anyone here have connections with a big-time pro jazz player and could pull strings?

Van

9. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    !!! :shock: !!!

Why stop at 1?! For that much, you could get Allen Vizzutti, Doc Severinsen, and Lord only knows who else!

10. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    :lol: Very Good point bigaggietrumpet :lol: