Hit in the Chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tjm127, Dec 26, 2011.

1. tjm127

tjm127 New Friend

Jan 22, 2011
    Hey all,

I'm a 19 year old college player (non-music major). I posted on this forum last year about a chop injury which took me about 9 months to get over. The advice on the forum helped - I got my tone and flexibility and double C back by September (injury happened in January), and it's all good.

However, now something new has popped up. Last night, on Christmas, I was playing with my little five year old cousin, and he accidentally smashed me in the chops with the top of his head. He's fine, but the skin on the inside of my top lip right in the center got torn up. I stopped bleeding within five minutes, and ice means I have no swelling, but the skin on the inside of the top lip looks like raw hamburger, where it still exists. My question is, how long does this type of thing take to heal (for those in-the-know here)? And when it does, will it leave scar tissue, etc., which will lead to a detriment in my playing? I tried to play a little about twenty minutes ago...from low C to middle staff G i can play, any higher and it's mostly a no-go...not going to play again till it's healed, but any insight would be helpful. It would be crushing if after months and months of working to get back to solid playing, a freak accident would set me back yet again.

Happy holidays to all!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It takes only a couple of days to heal, but a week for the normal feeling to come back. I always play lots of soft longtones in situations like this - no range studies

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Swish some warmish water with some salt in your mouth. But it is a mouth wound so it should heal fairly fast.

4. JustinG007

JustinG007 New Friend

May 14, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Hey, Man. Don't sweat it! This happened to me (except its a really embarrassing story ROFLROFLROFL) I put an "instant ice" cold pack on my chops for twenty minutes and fully recovered in a couple days.
    You'll be fine, dude!
    Hope you had a good Christmas with your cousin. :D

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree, a few days, and this should heal fine. Just to play it safe, keeping the area steril with a good blend of gin and tonic can't hurt either. Tis the Season to be Jolly! Right?

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    You go gmonady, encourage underage drinking! :bravo:

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oops. 19 and in college. Well, this WAS for medicinal purpose, and many Elixirs we prescribe in pediatrics does have alcohol, but your point is well taken Cody. So tjm127 here is your prescription which makes it all legal:

Rx: Take on shot of gin, and 2 oz of tonic. Add a wedge of lime, and a few cubes of ice.
    Sig: Sip slowly over the course of 10 minutes.
    Repeat qid until the lip is responsive to long tones and slurs (or to the kiss of a nice blonde co-ed whichever comes first)

Re: 11

Do not operate heavy machinery or attempt to drive an automobile while using his therapy. And when in the presence of a blonde co-ed, use protection.

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Nice comeback. ROFL

9. tjm127

tjm127 New Friend

Jan 22, 2011
    +10 points for gmonady haha. Great save. And thanks for the prompt responses, everyone! This is a great forum, I can't imagine what trumpet players did before there was the internet (shudder).

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I've similar chop issues. I had an allergic reaction, and well I had lips like Angelina Jolie and eventually they split everywhere. Chop saver is an amazing product for that, to use throughout the day. But I do advise listening to the other posters as well, just use the chop saver in addition to. Good luck!