Hitting "Super C's" just not on the gig. Frustration :(

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sounds7, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    You can also play in front of a wall or better in front of a mirror, that reflects the sound, don't forget that a trumpet works like a weapon, everyone is injured except yourself.

2. Wondra

Wondra Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2007
    Brian, you will find the musician plug info here: Etymotic Research, Inc. - Musicians Earplugs? High-Fidelity Hearing Protection

The process: You go to an Audiologist who will use a "putty" to copy the shape of each ear canal. This gets sent off to make the plug for each ear. Due to the exact fitting, the plugs seal your ear canals perfectly, and they are very comfortable - you could wear them all day. Then you decide to what extent you want to reduce the decibels, and that determines which inserts you pick.

Certainly there are other ear plug options, though I find these plugs to be the most comfortable by far, and they are designed so that you still hear the full spectrum of sound, just at lower decibel levels.

3. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    That sounds like a plan. Thanks for the tip guys

4. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    If you don't mind spending a little money, you can get yourself a small, personal in-ear monitor set up. You would be able to get a monitor mix from the board to hear the rest of the band, and then plug *your* mic directly into the other channel of the monitor unit. The engineer would then run an xlr from the output of your monitor unit either directly to the front of house board or to the snake. This would allow you to control the volume of the monitor mix from one channel and your personal mic volume in the other. The other benefit is that the in-ear buds block much of the ambient noise that occurs on stage.

I have used this set up for years, and it works well. I play bass and sing backing vox, so I need to hear very well. I will be experimenting with this set up as I start playing trumpet with another band that I recently joined. It's a ten-piece, so there will be significant sound on stage.

I use the entry-level Shure wireless in-ear system. It's small and rack-mountable; very user friendly. PM me if you have any questions. I'm a gear head and am certainly happy to help :)

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Gee whiz , you people are Monsters just to play a 4 hour gig ---- I can't play above the High F after a 2hr community band gig where the music doesn't even get out of the staff (if it's any conciliation, my friend Susan - a clarinet player - congratulated me on "being able" to play a High F after band practice one night)) ----- now you people made that meaningless for me!!!! ---- my advice is PRACTICE MORE WHEN YOUR ABLE TO PLAY ABOVE THE STAFF FOR 8 HOURS -then a 4 hr gig should be easy then

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That one works for me. And you will be hearing the results of such behavior at the Nighttown on May 10th.

7. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    If I would practice 8hrs a day in any range there wouldn't be time for work. Im a busy man. :)

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    If I understand you correctly you are playing fairly constantly above the staff for 4 hours, including in the scream range and at wide open volume. Personally, my hat is off to you. Having followed Maynard and Buddy Rich's band for many years, I think most of the folks that have played with them would say that is a pretty demanding gig. Especially if you aren't mic-ed. There are some folks that are able to develop chops that can go on forever, but I think most players, even the pros have limitations on such.

9. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Something tells me Nighttown is not near Milwaukee - otherwise I would come and see you!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Cleveland, but whats a 5 hour drive amongst friends??? --- yup! KT is going to do a road trip just to meet GM!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ((I plan on the valet parking, so I hope GM has a small spot on stage to put a couple of trumpets - -ROFL ROFL ROFL ) --- I read the rules on valet parking, they don't allow you to go into the lot, and don't much appreciate having to retrieve items out of the trunk for you -----