Hitting "Super C's" just not on the gig. Frustration :(

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sounds7, Apr 18, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now back to Sounds7 at outlasting the Super C's in a 4 hour gig. So Sounds7, any updates on how this is working for you now?

2. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    I am in the same place because I haven't made the appointment to get the molds made for my ears yet. I do think that over blowing is totally my problem and not hearing what is coming out of my bell is the culprit. If I hit it at home I should be able to hit it on the gig. I am in shape enough chops wise. I am creating my own obstacles because of the hearing issue. So thats what I will go after.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Are you using a clip on mic, or mic on a stand?

4. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Mic
    I have used clip on's in the past and got away from it but will try it again. The problem was controlling the volume getting in and out of solos. I will say I totally enjoyed what the clip on mic did for my back though. I think our whole band is about to invest in wireless mics. I am looking at various brands that will still allow me to do mute work.

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Well, this may be a long shot. What I have noticed is that if I don't get my mic stand at the exactly right height I end up being over conscious
    of the mic and keeping the bell close to it. And, if the height is wrong I will end up using the wrong angle of the horn to my lips
    and my endurance suffers.

This may not be an issue for you, as I am sure you have many more mic'ed gigs than I do, but I thought I would just throw it
    out there on the odd chance that you are changing your "angle" and getting tired.

6. Domination3785

Domination3785 Pianissimo User

Apr 12, 2014
    I would play long tones way up there for a while. I don't know how long, but I would start there and work yourself up to possibly the same amount of time as your average gigs, so 3 to 4 hours.