Hitting the high notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetKid123, Sep 25, 2010.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    an analogy I use for the air is like trying to blow a candle out further away -- so each higher note you are using your lower stomach/diaphragm muscle to push air.
    That said there are many posts about high notes. I would encourage you to be patient, and not get frustrated or focused on ONLY high notes. It may be difficult at 12 to hear this, but correct practice, focused on the lesson at hand, and intelligent practice (not forcing a high note) --will be of great benefit to you -- master the fundamentals and the high notes -- they will come with diligent practice, and strength in your muscles.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    All of this is good advice. Good things to work on.

I think the answer is you just need to play. Keep playing and work on good form, it will come.

3. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    The best way to improve range is with systematic practice over the whole range that you can play and not practicing overly loudly. I'd suggest getting a copy of "Technical Studies for the Cornet" by Herbert L. Clarke. It has many exercises that build very progressively and will improve your playing in all respects (breathing, relaxation, fingering, etc.) if you practice them in the manner described in the book. It is a universal book for advanced trumpet playing (nearly as common as the Arban book) but is also suitable for a beginning intermediate player.

Most likely, you need to do more than just take a bigger breath, though that might be 90% of your problem if you are talking about notes below G on top of the staff.

Age or lung capacity is not your problem. There are more and more 8-10 year olds who play easily up to high C and beyond with less than half the lung capacity of an adult. They aren't freaks of nature. They just play efficiently and practice a lot.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    kingtrumpet sez:

an analogy I use for the air is like trying to blow a candle out
    ---------
    Wow! This is what I use to help people develop an embrochure. I tell them to pretend to blow out a candle and while they are doing that, I tell them:
    "Keep blowing out the imaginary candle and put the horn up to your lips and play. That's how your lips should be when you play.