hmmm cornet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Aug 27, 2012.

1. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    As my signature states - only one instrument.... etc Its not exactly true. As most of you know I love playing my Xeno, and its an ideal instrument for jazz, playing in church whatever. However, I have recently started going along to a local brass band and sitting on the back row. I play along to 2nd or 3rd parts. This I am happy to do as I am keen to develop my timing and the more technical side of playing, plys the band are a great bunch and I have some friends there. The Xeno in this setting perhaps a bit too bright and in your face, stands out too much when at my level I would prefer to blend in. I picked up a nearly new Amati (Czech) cornet at a boot sale for a few quid and someone just gave me a battered Lafleur. I can get away with playing the Amati at the band but am considering a slightly better cornet for using at the band. Can pick up a used Yamaha 2330 or similar for a reasonable cost... Any thoughts?

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Has the band not got spare instruments? Most Brass bands have. If not, take a look at the John Packers own brand. They are very good value and play well above the price range. Or look round EBay etc for a second hand Sovereign.

You will get a lot of other suggestions, but mostly from colonials who play trumpets, and they don't understand the British Band ethos.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  3. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Thanks will bear it in mind. After my experience with yamahas I like the idea of a yammy cornet but open to suggestions too. I have had a couple of JP instruments, most recently a 251SW which despite poor reviews was not a bad instrument at all. I also had a JP152C both long gone.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  5. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Yamaha 2330 first image that comes up!

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Thanks for proving my point Coolerdave. He plays in America.

In the UK Brass Bands are a way of life for a lot of band members. Certain instruments are "acceptable" others are not. It doesn't matter how good it may be, it has to fit in with the rest of the cornet section. And be the type readily available to the Rev, here in the UK.

So, Sovereign, Xeno, Smith Watkins, and the like are the way to go for Revjames. Not Getzens, Kanstuls etc.

Just for example, I play in a Brass band ( of which I am NOT a member ). They rehearse twice a week. So far this year this year I have played 23 engagements with them. Another 3 due this next weekend. And they still have another 10 or so over Christmas. I expect I'll be asked to help with a few of those, too.

It's nice to get back to my Orchestra for a rest. :)

coolerdave likes this.
  7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    James

I have the 271 sw cornet and in place of being able to afford a round stamp besson sov I would highly recomend it. Having played a xeno and compared the two, the JP was well on top and under £500 quid, for me its a no brainer especially as a second instrument.

I would also take exception slightly (in fun) to the "not a bad instrument" on your 251 I have the silver plate model and it is nothing short of fabulous.

PS played a Xeno tpt and didn't like it

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Don't know the market in the "motherland", but since it's a Bri'ish Brass Band, A Bri'ish cornet should be used (definitely not French or German!!). This "colonial" gets it! ;-)

Cornyandy likes this.
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks Mates ( get it TM!)! You're good chaps!! :D

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, and I don't have it any more. I bought it (cheap) for an extended trial and decided fairly quickly that it's not up to par for brass band use. They play fairly "tight" and don't have the right sound, even with a "proper" Wick mouthpiece. For a cheap Yamaha cornet, the 2310 is a better instrument and has more of a brass band sound to it than the 2330 short cornet. It just doesn't look right, though...

Of course, this is just my colonial point of view, and I'm sure your Xeno trumpet fits in just fine on the back row...:lol:

Seriously, if you want to fit in, see what everyone else in the band is playing. To be safe, you can always buy a used Besson of some sort, though.