hmmm cornet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Ouch :stars:I'm actually suprised they let revjames through the band room door carrying a t*****t some bands wouldn't

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Jolly good response mate!! Cheerio!

3. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Born in the UK - raised in the "colonies" listening to me mum's "Men of Brass" records. We definitely don't share the BBB ethos - no lockstep instrument choices and we get to play without vibrato so wide that it covers up the lack of intonation :-)

coolerdave likes this.
  4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Not in any band I've played in. NO trumpets have ever been allowed (not strictly true, as the Principal cornet sometimes played trumpet solos with the band, on a trumpet). Most bands have a selection of instruments to loan.

I know a band within 4 miles of me that has 4 or 5 sovereigns on the shelf. And a couple of besson 1000's for the learners to borrow. Along with couple of Euph's. Barri's and Eb and BBb basses, but only one trombone. That's a non contesting band, so not as serious as 4th section or higher would take it.

Luckily I don't have to blend with any section, being a Flugel player. :)

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    As an un-educated "colonial" trumpeter, i am curious about the BBB phenomena... Do you guys get paid for these gigs you mentioned? Is it a job, or are all the people unpaid volunteers? 2 rehearsals, 33 performances is 100+ commitments.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Just making a little colonial joke, as the OP is from the UK and said he used a trumpet on the back row, but it was a little too bright.

7. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    In a word "no" the band is usually booked for a fee but that goes into band coffers. Its a funny world and I would call it a lifestyle choice rather than a hobby. At the heart of Brass Banding is Contesting. Think of it like an amatuer sprots league. i have until recently banded and whether the two panic attacks I had last week were linked to the weekly grind of rehearsals (50 mile round trip twice) and gigs I'm not sure but I looks like I may be out of banding for some time and actually I feel much better. Bearing in mind my band was on what would be considered the bottom rung of banding (the non contesting fourth section equivalent) you can imagine the way it goes for the bigger bands. Of course once you get in to Championship seciton bands you tend to get pro musicians from other fields using it as a hobby. (and whisper this some might even get some expenses)

If you want a bit of an insight have a look at "The Mouthpiece" a very similar forum to this one but I rarely bother with it as it seems to be a place to whinge about band politics and who's been signed by whom

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    OUCH,OUCH,and OUCH!!! :oops:

9. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    wow didnt expect this many replies. I was leaning toward the Yamaha, but will think twice now, yes I was actually invited by the bandmaster to bring my trumpet and 'have a blow'.... surprising I know but I did feel conspicuous. Andy no offence intended about the JP251SW it served me well for the time I had it, I just felt that to do myself any justice I wanted to remove any barriers to improving and bought the best and most expensive I could afford and the first week I played publicly with it (church) comments were made about how much better it sounded despite me not mentioning new instrument. Budget constraints are tight having spent £££s on the Xeno .... I have seen a very reasonably priced B&S but its GERMAN.... but I'll let you all into a secret - I am 1/4 German anyway... whatever I get it will be 2nd hand so will keep my eyes and ears peeled (sounds painful).

10. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hey James I was joking about the 251 I love it to bits and have hated every yammie I have touched, (they feel heavy and tight to me) so I had to yank the old chain a bit:D Seriously It might be worth a look at he the 271 cornet. We put it next to a xeno at band and the frankly the only difference to the eye was the 1st slide trigger linkage was on the opposite side of the horn (same linkage though) and to me and the bandmaster the 271 played better. B&S's are nice horns but I have heard they can be a bit strident against Bessons and only work if the whole section is on them, I've heard the same of Smith/Watkins cornets too. I've teamed my 271 with an allience 3b and it just plays so nicely.