hmmm cornet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Aug 27, 2012.

1. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    100's of years of tradition, not just the armed forces but things like coal mining. I don't know about creepy and good ol boyish, bands cant afford to be like that. New blood constantly needed to replace old to keep going. Still the world leaders I reckon.

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    My local band is 120 years old this year.

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    It's a funny world and most people seem born into it and at the top level the bands are second to no other group. I don;t know about creepy but ti is a world unto itself. As James says bands can't afford to be like that, unfortunately too many are and I believe that is why the movement is in decline. Oonce more I distance the band I have been with from this but too many bands see the contest as the be all and end all and forget that it is the music and the performance that is the important. I don't want to seem over critical of banding but when asked I try to give my view about the good and the bad in there.

4. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    So RevJames how's the Cornet Hunt going?

5. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    well I have been watching some on ebay - in particular a B&M Sonara - and was ready to part with money BUT I have been told by someone in the band that there are sovereigns on the shelf and once I have been going a few weeks they will lend me one! so problem solved for the time being! although the B&M looks like a steal at the mo £27 with a day to go.....

6. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Are Spanish instruments too outre? I love my Stomvi Elite Cornet. It is really open (but so is my mpc), but mellow. I bought it on eBay several years ago from a guy who was bb'ing with it. I use it to blend with a couple guitars and bass doing Django and Hot Club music. I like it much better than my trumpet on that stuff. But other than my youth I have no adult experience with bbs.

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Which is what I said in the second post on this thread. Oh ye of little faith. ( see what I did there Rev?) :D

8. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Yes fair play you did say a few posts back and I did see what you did... I see everything :)

9. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Well you know a man (PC out the window)who does

10. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    havent posted in here for a while. Thought I'd bring you up to date. Started going along to a local band and sitting on the back row. Actually think this is harder as I am so used to playing the melody! Really stretching me as I am having to play with a lot more disipline especially with regard to timing. I am playing in a concert next month and a few around Christmas time! Absolutely loving it. First couple of times I was afraid to blow and only played a few notes, getting more and more confident and going twice a week to practice when I can and also having a lesson midweek. The Amati £45 cornet so far is holding up well and is not a bad instrument.