Hocus-Pocus stuff

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Paul Du Bourg, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hi All,

Got my copy of Advanced Lip Flexibilities Vols1,2&3 published by Charles Colin a couple of weeks ago.
    Try and use it every night with significant improvement in note centering, range and alternative fingering Mr Colin calls "false fingering".

The first 8 pages contain profound words that have inspired me to work harder at playing and therefore enjoy the experience of learning even more.

A lot of you may have read these pages but I thought that sharing a few of Colin's comments with the unenlightened may speed the journey forwards and upwards !!!!!

Page 1 & 2

Title and Contents

Page 3

Opening statement.

"Scientific trumpet playing depends largely upon intelligent concentration"

a few sentences later,

"Performing in a brilliant fashion can be developed. Not through hocus-pocus methods, but applying oneself diligently with intelligent instruction"

Pages 4,5 and 6 Technical stuff regarding trilling, stretching,tongue and resistance.

Page 7

Title: "Intelligent thinking and practice"

This whole section is worth repeating but alas my typing skills are not what they should be.

Third paragraph.

"Those looking first to find fault with their equipment get but a temporary satisfaction when the sacrifice of changing mouthpiece occurs. The next step is to blame the instrument"

Sixth paragraph.

"Brute force has no place in trumpet playing. Uncontrolled tension leads to brute force"

A few sentences later.

"Brute force emanates from forgetting (or having never learned ) simple, basic fundamentals.Since important work calls for accuracy, one cannot afford instability in his embouchure"

paragraph 8.

"After absorbing much misguided information, playing at ease now becomes a difficult and tiring burden"

Last paragraph.

"In the final analysis, it is not the mouthpiece, instrument or the teacher, but the individual himself"

Page 8.

"Correct daily workouts, routines and setting up exercises all have their definite purpose"

A few sentences later.

"Those who do not stick to sound procedures invariably become subject to mouthpiece and horn phobias"

And then.

"Students not realizing the importance of a good foundation often get discouraged with what they call "dry" scale and interval practice. little do they realize or appreciate the importance of intelligent warming-up and how vital it is for development and future progress"

Finally.

"A student endowed with the natural gifts for both high range and lip formation should build around that with which he is already gifted"

Man........... All of the above, in one way or another, has been covered on TM.

My problem is I now know I have short term memory loss..... so must include reading in my daily trumpet ritual.

Still struggling with enlightenment.

Cheers Paul.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Consider the quotes from John Wooden: John Wooden quotes

Same kind of stuff.

3. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Colin's Lip Flexibilities helped me correct some serious problems when I began my comeback. Not only do I have a far greater useful range and more endurance, I sound a heck of a lot better.

4. SessionCat

SessionCat New Friend

Oct 17, 2005
    Hmmm.... trumpet fortune cookies. Interesting concept!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Colin, a man after my own heart!

This should be proof to all of you that my repeating this stuff hundreds to thousands of times does have a basis proven over many years. There really is no other way!

6. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Whenever I run into trouble, I go back ernestly to Colin and get back on the straight and narrow. Works every time.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
  8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that most players at some point come to the realization that there isn't a trumpet or a mouthpiece that's going to give them the sound and ability they are striving for - it's all going to come from structured, disciplined work in the practice room.

This isn't to say having a nice trumpet and a well-fitting mouthpiece won't help, but once those things have been obtained, something much easier than many seem to realize, the best option is to get down to the basics and get to work.

9. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Combine what you said with something posted on another thread about Arturo (...at a master class somebody told him he played so great because he had a great horn, whereupon he took a student's horn and played the same, and said it's the player not the horn)...and it really makes me wonder what is all this focus on equipment? I got my WWBW catalog a few weeks ago. Does the world really need 25 trumpet companies if like Arturo and others here have said...it's the player not the horn? Do these companies just cater to our materialism and greed?

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Perhaps not but what would the world be like if it had only what it needed? Not to say that the focus on equipment is justified (it's not) but I'm much more concerned about the uncontrolled proliferation of exotic methods and cheap advice on YouTube and elsewhere...