Hocus-Pocus stuff

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Paul Du Bourg, Dec 14, 2010.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I got my old King Cleveland cornet out tonight when I was practicing, just messing around. This thing has seen better days and several years back I had some work done on it to get rid of the worst of the dents and to make it playable again. (It should be noted that most of the damage was done by my cousin, the original owner, prior to my obtaining it.) Was it playable. Sure. Did it compromise my playing. Yep - not tremendously though, and compared to my valve aligned Schilke B6, the most overt difference was between G and high C - the Schilke stays open to the top, and the cornet closes up. Having said all of that, it was that King cornet in my hands when I was successfully battling for first chair in 8th grade against a kid playing a Bach Strad.

2. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    The fact is, while Arturo would sound great on just about any horn, he does not play a $200 student model horn. In fact, he is very picky about the horn he plays. Why do you think that is? From all accounts, he loves his Wild Thing.

Just about every pro I have every met/worked with/played with has been picky about their equipment to some degree. I say "just about" in the event there is someone who wasn't, but I really cannot recall a single one.

Some are fanatical in their loyalty to a given brand/model, others are always looking for the next thing, even more are constantly tinkering with what they have.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It's true that a good player can make most any functioning trumpet sound good. The thing with better equipment, it makes sounding good so much easier.