Holding an English-style cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B-Flat Cat, Oct 13, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I found that if I have a rag in my left hand it pushes my palm out just far enough to make using the trigger and slide easier. It's a pretty thick rag/cloth and I double it up as well. for trumpet ... might help on cornet .... I am not 60 but it's getting awlful close.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I think with my small hands If I put a cloth in there I'd have to grip so hard I'd either cramp up or drop the thing. But if you have bigger hands it sounds a good idea

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    well I have long thin fingers so the third valve ring is difficult to move without bouncing the horn around ... I also rest the bell on my index finger ... which I hear is not recomended. .. but it makes it easier because my hands aren't so tied up in the wrap.

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I had never considered this detail ... I just look at myself in the mirror, I do exactly the same thing with my left arm ... It should not be rare. :dontknow:

5. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    It is fun trying to line up an asymetric mouthpiece though left hand down a bit right hand down a bit and the floggle toggle gear has gone again

6. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Thanks, guys. These are all great ideas. I tried canting the horn slightly and that took the strain off my wrist, but the best was the "Vulcan salute" grip with two fingers below the 3rd valve slide. The fingers on my left hand can spread very wide comfortably as a result of playing classical guitar for so many years. This grip also took the bell off my index finger; resting it there wasn't doing my knuckle joint any good at all.

7. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Always glad to help pal

8. GarryOwenBrain

GarryOwenBrain New Friend

Oct 28, 2012
    Montgomery, AL
    I had horrible wrist pain when I started playing my Bach 184 cornet. Sometimes it was so bad I actually had to set the cornet down and almost pry my left hand off with my right! I started doing wrist strengthening exercises with light weights (a small weight with a string tied to it) and after about 3 months I had no more problems. There are also a number of wrist strengthening gadgets on the internet that work just as well.

9. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    Sidebar and background: I’ve been struggling for a long time to break a bad habit – I tend to tense up my left hand and unconsciously apply pressure. It got bad enough that it greatly reduced my range and I could barely hit a G at the top of the staff.

I decided to force the issue and began holding my trumpet and cornet from the bottom. I balance the trumpet with the tips of my index and middle under the third valve slide, and the thumb under the bell. This has forced as close to no pressure as I can figure and has completely changed my playing.

I know that this is a very non-traditional hold, but I’ve found it to be very comfortable and my horn stays pretty well balanced – I’ve played this way through a couple solos and it worked out just fine.

I don’t know if I’ll go back to a more traditional grip once I feel that I’ve “retrained” myself – it’s been about four months now – but it’s working well. I haven’t found that I’ve really missed the control of the first and third so much. Clearly, I have to do more work with my lip and, sometimes, alternate fingerings. But, for now, the tradeoff has been well worth how it’s improved my performance.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Having a relaxed left hand grip with a space between the palm and the horn, and the weight of the horn carried by the thumb and index finger, works for me. I do not squeeze the valve cluster with my left hand at all, though I do squeeze when using the triggers. If the joint on the index finger objects to the bell weight, one could try a fabric bandaid to ease that.