Holding an English-style cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B-Flat Cat, Oct 13, 2012.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    You can always try the ErgoBrass support system.

2. MJMullison

MJMullison New Friend

Mar 15, 2011
    Southeastern Michigan
    I was browsing this thread because I have an opposite problem - my (female) hands are too small to grip the valve block of my Yamaha cornet easily. I've generally played trumpet all these years and only this year started playing a British-style cornet. Now that I am playing it a lot, I'm finding my left hand hurts. I can't find a grip both comfortable and that allows me control of my first valve saddle and third valve ring. I suppose if I had found a horn with triggers instead of rings that would have helped. Until I hit the lotto, though, I'm looking for a fix to my problem. Vulcan grip gives me control of the third ring (lets me hold the valve block with thumb and third and fourth fingers and move ring with first and second fingers) but is a real strain on the back of my hand. Canting helps a little for my wrist but doesn't solve the grip issue. I've been browsing threads and googling pictures of cornet players to get a new idea - no luck. Anybody with better ideas?

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    With a saddle/ring setup on your cornet, wouldn't the grip be about the same as you use on trumpet?

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Funny, as I was reading replies I tried to figure out how I hold it. My 2nd finger is in the 3rd valve slide. Pinky and wedding ring finger below the 3rd valve slide. Vulcan Salute Grip, well if y'all say so. Cool. :)

5. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I grab the ring with the middle finger as well, even on trumpet. My ring finger rests on top of the slide in front of the ring, and my pinky just sits along the side of it.

6. MJMullison

MJMullison New Friend

Mar 15, 2011
    Southeastern Michigan
    Dale, after reading your response, I took a closer look at the two, side by side to compare. Tpt is a Schilke B6L and cornet is a Yamaha 6330, for the record.

Tpt:Cornet.jpg

Looking at them, the valve block is pretty much the same size, though the cornet just FEELS bigger. I did an honest hand to hand comparison after that, and I think my problem is that the space between the third valve slide and the bell is wider, and I rest the tpt bell on my first finger when I play. I'd never focused on that before - it seems to give me better control without a tight grip. The cornet doesn't allow me to do that and still control the third valve slide, however, so I have to have a tighter grip to hold the cornet in the correct way. I guess that's why I'm seeking an alternative grip...

Thanks for the insight!

7. MJMullison

MJMullison New Friend

Mar 15, 2011
    Southeastern Michigan
    Dang uploader. How do I include a picture??

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    MJ, could you get someone to modify the trigger ring on 3, so it is closer to the valve cluster?

9. MJMullison

MJMullison New Friend

Mar 15, 2011
    Southeastern Michigan
    I hesitate to mess with it on the chance that it might make it better. Was hoping for a less drastic fix, but I may have to go there.

10. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I hesitate to relate the advice given me by one of my teachers, a '30's big band star.
    His advice was to hold it however comfortable and least fatiguing. He said, and I quote. "Treat your horn like a Lady and hold it like a Whore."